Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
hey all
I have a 1985 1100 shadow which is fully stock, I have on my previous bikes had drag bars and been thinking about getting one on this bike as well.
Here is my stock 1985 1100 Shadow

Here is the snag ... I have always had custom seats and forward controls on those bikes as well. Since there arent any forward controls available for the '85 1100.
I will most likely build my them my self but that wont happen until late next year.

Anyone have any experience with drag bars and 85-86 1100 Shadow ? How is the riding stance ?

Testing with a mock up dragbar and standard seat

Testing with a drag bar and lowered seat

welcome any comments, I want to be sure before spending some cash on parts

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Looks cramped and uncomfortable, to me.

·
Registered
74 Posts
oUCH 650. how bout aftermarket pipes gotta link for those? :wink: but the forward controls dont look hard to make if a guy is handy. As for the drag bars I'm a short guy at 5' 4" so the position is prettygood for me but he looks a bit cramped

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
As for the size .. yeah I'm 6'3 " and sadly .. the old 1100 was the biggest one I could afford.

650$ for the forward controls ... ouch ...

I have found some links on how to make the forward controls and I will most likely go that way (besides , it will be fun making them).

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
i have the 86 vt1100 and i tried the drag bars and just could not do it.. IMO Apes are a better fit for the bike and yes the make a set of forward controls for the bike here is a link VT1100 Shadow Forward Controls .
Whoa almost 700 buck's for controls!!!

I wonder if the shift pattern is reversed after?? 1 up and 4 down??

With long legs forward control would be best with the straight bar:wink:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Sadly not alot of progress , I got forward controls made buy the same guy that did Kees's. The controls that were linked for 650$ are not for the 85-86 , you can see on the bike that those are made for 87 and up.

So far what ive done is : Forward controls , need to be powder coated or painted .. still thinking about that one , not big on chrome.

10" Z-bars installed , had to have them customized due to the 1" clamps and 7/8 handle controls but I must admit that they completely changed the bike , the riding position is perfect for me now.

what is planned :
wrapping the pipes, they have a lot of rust on them and I dont have the cash to buy the MAC pipes (seem to be the only after market pipes for those bikes , I am still considering getting sportster slip-ons to see if I can get it to work)

New saddle. Here is where it gets tricky ...so far ive seen 1 aftermarket saddle for these bikes and its really not what I am going for. I want to have a lower saddle and will most likely end up making it my self.

Still considering what to do about the paint job. The paint job on the bike isnt bad so its hard to justify spending cash on it.

Wiring needs a bit of tlc ... I want to change the front light since its badly rusted which means moving the wiring inside the front light as well but I might end up painting it (or have it powder coated with the controls )

New blinkers, want something smaller

Ill post some pics when I have had time to clean the old girl and make her look pretty

Arnar

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.