Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading some of the information of these forums about which is the proper oil for the Ride.
This bike has extremely low miles for being a 35 yr old bike 12,890 miles when I bought it from a Michigan University Student that lived in San Diego, California. His Parents lived in Hayfork California. Which is where I bought the bike for $1,400.00 3 months ago. Came with the manual and all the Original tools and tool bag and a Dowco Guardian Weatherall Plus Motorcycle cover.
It had a Bent Handlebar (left side bent back 2") Replaced with a 83 model handlebars, Bent left shifting rod replaced with new old stock foot peg and new shifting rod with rubber boot, After market right side Master cylinder Brake lever that was not hooked up to the rear tail light Replaced with a OEM from eBay right side Master brake with lever, Missing 1 headlight bolt Replaced and have 1 extra, and a Bald back tire replaced with a Kenda Kruz, and needing a seat cover replacement.
"I've already Replaced the bald back tire with a Kenda Kruz K673 Motorcycle Street rear tire 130/90H-16 $75.58" from amazon. I just bought a Slipstreamer Spitfire Sport Shield Tinted with 7/8" clamp windshield for it from eBay and I have a pair of Viking AXE Medium Black Sport saddlebags to help me on my Grocery trips. The bags arrive tomorrow and the Slipstream windshield should be here Wednesday next week.
I'm hoping that if it truly only has 12,800 miles on it That I should be safely able to switch it to 20W 50 V-Twin Mobile 1 100% Synthetic Motor oil $9.56 a Quart. and I have the K&N Oil filter KN202 that has the nut on the end.
I live in Northern California where the Summer heat can Kill, Our Mild Summer temps run in the 105 F most of the 3-4 months, With spikes up to 118f - 47.7778c.
2 weeks ago My bike overheated in the middle of the road and the temp was 112.
I plan to flush the radiator with White Vinegar and Distilled water and then planned on using "Engine Ice" Motorcycle Antifreeze that is not toxic and supposedly reduces the temp by 50 degrees, 2 quarts of it will run about $26.00. I'm hoping between the new oil and the better antifreeze that I will get less over heating issues.
I have thought about replacing the single lead thermostat switch for it, found OEM Parts off of eBay for 35.99 in USA. with the Crush washer, and a rated temp of 186 degrees.
WP_20200529_003.jpg
WP_20200529_003.jpg
WP_20200529_004.jpg
WP_20200529_002.jpg
WP_20200516_002.jpg
WP_20200516_003.jpg
WP_20200516_001.jpg
WP_20200529_004.jpg
WP_20200529_002.jpg

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,033 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Keep those old classics running !
A couple of guys had trouble with squealing water pumps lately and decided the Engine Ice could be the source. It may not lubricate the pump seals as well as coolant. So just a heads up.

Reactions: Nightrider62

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you, I appreciate Any and All input. I want to keep this ride upright and Moving along.
Guess i will just stick with what Coolant I have for now. a 50/50 mix.
And my neighbor had Suggested the Kenda Kruz wheel since it is what he uses on his 1983 Honda GL1100 Full Dresser. The Honda GL 1100 and the Honda Shadow VT500 use the same back tire 130/90H-16.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The 15" Tinted Spit Fire windshield is on, Last to replace will be the Seat Cover. Bike Looks Great. Motorcycle alarm installed and next item is the 1080p/780p front & rear camera setup ($130). Everything helps to cut the cost of insurance over a long period of time, and less B.S. in the courts when you have video backup.

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did the Oil job, Couldn't break the old oil filter off so I left it for now. I have a replacement I just had a full tank of gas and didn't want to spill any while tilting the bike sideways to get rid of the old filter.
I replaced the 2.9/3 quarts that was in there with Valvoline 20w 50 Full Synthetic V-twin Oil and have put on almost 100 miles so far without any leaks. And the Bike has yet to over heat and the temps have been in the 100's all month. So my Over heating issues might be done. I decided against the Engine Ice treatment. I am looking at another, Doing more research. I want to know more before adding it.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,033 Posts

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,660 Posts
I use a Channellock 209 plier on mine same kind of idea, a little smaller, a little more $, but made in the USA.

I know band wrenches get praised and I have a couple of sizes of those, but I have had them slip on me on old over tightened filters and have resorted to the Phillips and the hammer.
I have cup wrenches, but rarely can lay a hand on the right one at the right time.

When I got my bike it had the fancy chrome filter with the stamped and welded on nut on the end for easy removal, I figure somebody used it to tighten it on, after the nut folded that one got a screwdriver vent job.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used the old strap type of Wrench even used a rubber inner tube to try take up the slack, Thanks Swifty. I've added one to my Cart already. I bought the filter that has the wrench head at the end the current filter is not the same type of design.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,033 Posts
If you got the K&N oil filter they are great.
I am too cheap to spend the price so I get the $5.00 filters.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had the same issue with the strap wrench trying to replace mine with the K&N also. I found folding sandpaper so it had 4 folds took up the slack nicely and gave the grip needed to remove the old filter

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
If you got the K&N oil filter they are great.
I am too cheap to spend the price so I get the $5.00 filters.
@swifty2014 Yes I bought it off eBay, K&N KN-202 Oil Filter Canister 10.94 from Mission Hills Ca. 3.90 shipping. I live in Northern Ca. so it was perfect. yeah I wanted this oil change to be a good long lasting one so I didn't cheap out on the oil or filter. That Valvoline 20w 50 Full Synthetic V-twin Oil is 11.36 a Quart at Walmart. basically a 50.00 oil change. And it's been over 103 all week, This Sunday it's supposed to be 108, on the following day I have a dr's appointment and it's supposed to be 108. I'm glad I'm running the thicker oil right now. And the New Seat Cover should be here on the 18th."Shasta County" Ca.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts