Honda Shadow Forums banner

181 - 200 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #181
The tubes, that the rubber hoses hook up to from the water pump. Think I might have a pic...

The red silicone, with the jug slid up, you can see the tube and where it seals

·
Registered
114 Posts
Got-cha. Ok for some weird reason my brain kept thinking of coolant lines inside the housing. Ya that is not a bad idea. What silicone are you using! I have rubber rings for the coolant lines but they are not new. And trying to find new ones is becoming a quest in itself.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #183
The red didnt work, and it was high temp. What I had to do is reuse the ones that came off, just left them on the tubes and use The Right Stuff silicone, it's by Permatex. It's a "gasket" maker, havent had a problem with it at all. You can use a small form of it in place of the paper gaskets, or between the rockers and cylinder head if you dont have the Aviation Form-a-Gasket to use. I use that on all my paper gaskets, and it sealed the rockers to the cylinder head. Be warned though, it is super sticky and you need to use brake clean or carb clean to get it off your hands.
I found those seals on ebay, just couldnt justify the 6.99 each plus shipping costs. The honda dealer here in Utah couldnt get them for me, last I remember, he could order them in but not at the 9.99 each price tag, plus shipping.

The 750 does live again, minor coolant seep, external I can live with right now, since I'm not riding. Finishing working out the small bugs first, tinker here, tinker there since the 750 is from an 83 shadow aero. Figuring it's better than the stock 700 engine I picked up and is sitting covered in my backyard right now

·
Registered
114 Posts
Let me check something real quick.......nope still haven’t won the lottery so that would be a big nope from me as well.
Mine are still good, no dry rot and they and still soft and playable.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #187
And when your dealer doesnt stock them, the price goes up. And includes the freight/shipping. Already tried that route, mine didnt have them in stock. So I used the right stuff over the original pliable gasket/o rings and they arent leaking

·
Registered
114 Posts
Heck I have an O ring replacement assortment box. I’m just going to measure the O rings with my calipers and just get ones that fit.
$3.91 a piece is extortion! I can get a metric O ring assortment from Advanced Auto that has a couple hundred O rings for about $5.00.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Can do that too. I did the same thing on one of the tubes. Used 2 o rings, they were a bit small and I still used silicone anyway. Just thickness wise.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #190
Leaking oil from the oil feed on the rear head rocker. Pulled the bolt and threads came with it. Looks like the engine is coming back out again, and replacing the rocker assembly.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,789 Posts
Someone else did that in the last year or so. Could it be Heli-coiled, if enough room for working it?

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #192
I have 2 more of these rocker assemblies. Engine still has to come out to replace it. As for the heli coil, I dont think so, the bolt goes way down in there for the threads, it's not a standard banjo bolt

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,789 Posts
That is a special bolt for sure !

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #195
Besides this purple one I took a pic of, the other 2 I have are on the 700 engine I got from the yard last weekend. It was still fully assembled, except the stator is missing, engine has compression, so worst case scenario the 700 is going back into it. Trying to keep the 750 viable in the bike. I'm just feeling that's how this bike should be. Stupid tariffs....

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,789 Posts
That is one of the most rediculous stories I ever heard. When I got my 1983 750 and I read about the next few years being 700's because Harley was having a hard time and the government tried to slow the Japanese bike market. All the 700cc and bigger engines had a fat tarriff. Pretty smart of the Japanese to just go down to 695 cc's and it was taken care of.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Yeah, tariffs were stupid. Even though from my understanding that the 700cc is just a "sleeved" 750. Everything is the same as a 750cc , except piston size. Now Harley is having a tough time and I heard one store is closing permanently, on the east coast somewhere

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #198

New to me gauges, better quality then what was on it. What do you think about like an underglow on the bike, help make me more visible at night? Like a light kit...

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,789 Posts
Under glow is pretty cool I never have had anything like that. In some states the cops will stop you if your are riding with special lights. At least with cars here in Washington. They were stopping kids with colored windshield washers with blue lights. Probably because blue is for emergency vehicles. One kid got a ticket for dying his license plate lights green.
Not sure about a bike with colors. If just for show and not riding it wouldn't be an issue.
Maybe other guys with the under glow can chime in with info.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #200 (Edited)
Anyways, on an update. Head gaskets replaced again. Cylinder head oiler replaced, everything torqued. Engine installed and everything put together. Had to change a couple bulbs when I installed the "new" gauges, for the dash. Finalized everything today and went to start, got a click from the starter solenoid and now everything has gone dead. Just checked all the fuses, they're good. Even the 30 amp main fuse. Key on and still nothing on the dash, usually it lights up, oil, fuel, neutral, and tail light. Kill switch on run. Battery is charged at 12.3v currently. Have a 12v jump starter on it with a digital readout. Now I'm stumped. In the meantime, I'm going to be looking through the wiring diagrams in the back of the manual

181 - 200 of 249 Posts