Honda Shadow Forums banner

241 - 249 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #241
Took her out today, didnt make it around a block, down the road and back, front brakes locked up and I ended up dumping her, coming into a parking lot. At least i was close to home. My father ran out with the tools, disconnected the calipers and I rode her home. Time to go through the front brake system

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,789 Posts
Check the brake master cylinder return port. It is very tiny and can get clogged and hold pressure in the lines. Mine was doing that when I got my bike from a friend. That's when I learned about that port. Soak the fluid up with a rag and clean the hole with a sewing needle since it is so tiny. Refill with new fluid and you shouldn't have to bleed the brakes that way.
Picture from my clutch master but brake is very similar=

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #243
I did just that. Actually pulled the master off the bike and cleaned it up thoroughly. Brake fluid looked like honey, got that all drained and cleaned up/flushed out. Just have to bleed the air out now. Figured to let it settle so the air rises to the master cylinder and I can bleed from that banjo bolt. Looked like there was some rust around the return hole. Cleaned it up as best i could with a tiny bread twist, stripped the plastic back and ran the wire through the hole several times, twisting as I went.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,789 Posts
Good, that little port sure can cause issues.
When I bled mine I noticed the manual says to put a stop block 3/4 inch thick so the lever doesn't come all the way back to the bars, Sounds strange, but I did that.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #245
Yup, that's what it said in the clymer manual. Glad I flushed the front brakes. They're back to 100% functionality. Great pad life left too. Local salvage yard didnt have the correct rear tire. Bunch of front ones thay say harley davidson on them. But the front tire is fine. Just keeping an eye out for a rear tire out there, or just have to go get one brand new from the parts store here in town, with a "free" mount and balance...

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #247
Havent stripped it down yet. The current problem is idle was erratic, would fire up and idle fine. Next fire up it would idle around 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #249
Fork seals are now done. The oil was nasty. Black and rank. Like when an A/C compressor grenades internally. The black death, something like that... motorcycle store looked it up, and said to run a 7 or 8 according to looking it up. But I could safely run 10. So I did that

241 - 249 of 249 Posts