Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 1985 Honda Shadow that had been sitting in a guys garage for years. He wasn't sure of or could not remember the last time it had run or fired up, So I had my work cut out for me. I got her home and cleaned the carbs, changed out all of the fluids and gave it a shot. She fired right up! She ran ruff and had a lot of popping from one of the carbs and no amount of syncing worked to salve the problem. I ordered a new set of jets so that I could re-jet the carbs and get rid of the popping. Then I really looked at the bike as it was. I did not really like what I saw, sure she was old and with very little miles on her, only 7,500 miles. But time had not been nice to her, all that sitting in a garage had taken its toll. There were dings and scraps on her paint had come off in a few spots on the frame, all in all she still looked good but she was a 10 foot bike. She looked great from about 10 feet away.

Then I opened up the brake lines and the clutch fluid reservoir, and that sealed the deal. The brake fluid was almost black, and in the clutch side it was a solid mass of brown and black gunk. The more I got into her the more I realized that sure I could ride her as she is now, but I would always have to wonder what is wrong with her now or what is going to break next. Or I could just take her apart and fix it all and restore her to her full glory and ride her with no worries at all.
Well with me it is either all or nothing so lets take her all the way down to the frame and re-paint and re-wire and fix her completely.

This is the day I picked her up, such a happy day! I finally had the bike I wanted back in the 80's, I had a Shadow!

So now to get her home and see if I can get her up and running.

And this is were the journey began. One thing led to another and next thing we know...

The engine is out and on the floor! The tear down begins. so Lets start with the engine first. a full disassembly and re-paint and polish is needed.

And the cleaning and rebuilding really starts. Here are the valve covers after a good cleaning a polish and the lower half of the rear cylinder housing with High Gloss black paint. Still working on polishing up the fins on the upper section then I will prime it and paint it High Gloss Black as well. What a difference cleaning it up makes. She is going to be pritty when I'm done with her.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
good start. Really looking good. If you find yourself needing parts, I have an '84 soon to be heading to the junk yard. By the way, I also have both the left and right side plastic covers. Just sayin......;)

Reactions: Gundam-Monkey

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you, this will be a labor of love. What dose your front fender look like? This one is mashed in on the inside section. And your rear shocks. This bike got tagged a few times sitting in the garage and the top pf the left rear spring is bent in and touching the springs.
Believe it or not but I actually have both side covers, and they are in really good condition.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Up date on my rebuild.
while I had the engine apart I went ahead and smoothed out the intake and exhaust ports for
flow.

then I got to work on finishing up the engine and getting it started on the rebuild.

But first I found that my oil seal for the clutch push rod was not just bad, but gone! Have to replace that first then reassemble.

paint the engine block. And the starter, drive transfer, and

Paint and polish the heads, then mock up for fitment before actual reassembly.

Now that the engine is “done” minus the rebuild. Time to move on to the frame and panels for paint.
No need to post the parts in primer, we all know what that looks like. So here are the parts as of right now.
I still have to paint the tank and the side boxes. But everything else is about done. Still have to wet sand some of the parts. But that is no big deal.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Going to look very sharp!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wow this is great. I wish i had those skills.
Thank you, in all Honesty it was not about skill. But more about just following the manuals and asking others for help when I get stuck. And painting really is not all that hard, I have been air brushing for years with model building. So painting a bike is just like painting a really big model for me.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just got a notice that my side boxes are here! I ordered two 40MM ammo cans that I will be painting to match and mounting for hard side boxes.

·
Registered
VT 1100c 1994
219 Posts
wow, awesome, I wished I had your skills, too... she's gonna look great when she's finished! I really like the coulour!

·
Registered
89 Posts
That looks really sharp. Can't wait to see what she looks like when finished. Did you have the parts sent out to get professionally paint or were the rattle can? If rattle can, what kind of black & silver paint did you use. Thank you.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That looks really sharp. Can't wait to see what she looks like when finished. Did you have the parts sent out to get professionally paint or were the rattle can? If rattle can, what kind of black & silver paint did you use. Thank you.
No I painted them myself. No rattle cans either, I made a paint booth and sprayed it myself. Thank you I will post more pictures as I go along. I will hopefully have her up and running by Memorial day weekend.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And it begins! Note I only have the handlebars on so I can see how they look. But the important part is the build part is underway! Will be firing her up soon!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Add one "What the hell man!" moment. I was getting the rear drive assembly ready to attach to the swing arm and the lock nuts were missing! On top of that when I originally took it off one of the studs came out as well, and that was missing as well. So after searching all over and thinking that they might have "Ghost walked" I gave up and started to look on line.
Well after finding the parts on line and hemming about having to spend $30 for 3 freakin' lock nuts and 1 stud, I went to have one last look around.
Do you see in the last picture the pile of white micro fiber towels I'm using to wrap painted parts in so I don't scratch them??? Well if you look just above them you will see a foot peg and a FREAKIN" LOCK NUT! now if you lift the damn rags you would see the other 2 and the damn stud. That was about the biggest moment of relief I have had in a long time.
Damn Ghost. When I take things off I attach the nuts and bolts to them just so I don't miss place them or something. Earlier in the day (before the NASCAR race) I had the drive assembly staged and ready so I know the nuts and stud were layed out and ready.

Not joking we have a Ghost in the house. We have watched stuff move. And we can hear "him/her/it" walk up from the basement. If yo catch it just right and watch the basement door when you hear the footsteps coming up, you can watch the door knob turn and the door opens up. It is kind of cool, but we never get that "this feels bad" feeling so we just live with it. But things disappear and reappear from time to time. So I thought the lock nuts had "Ghost walked", they did but not far this time.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Add one "What the hell man!" moment. I was getting the rear drive assembly ready to attach to the swing arm and the lock nuts were missing! On top of that when I originally took it off one of the studs came out as well, and that was missing as well. So after searching all over and thinking that they might have "Ghost walked" I gave up and started to look on line.
Well after finding the parts on line and hemming about having to spend $30 for 3 freakin' lock nuts and 1 stud, I went to have one last look around.
Do you see in the last picture the pile of white micro fiber towels I'm using to wrap painted parts in so I don't scratch them??? Well if you look just above them you will see a foot peg and a FREAKIN" LOCK NUT! now if you lift the damn rags you would see the other 2 and the damn stud. That was about the biggest moment of relief I have had in a long time.
Damn Ghost. When I take things off I attach the nuts and bolts to them just so I don't miss place them or something. Earlier in the day (before the NASCAR race) I had the drive assembly staged and ready so I know the nuts and stud were layed out and ready.

Not joking we have a Ghost in the house. We have watched stuff move. And we can hear "him/her/it" walk up from the basement. If yo catch it just right and watch the basement door when you hear the footsteps coming up, you can watch the door knob turn and the door opens up. It is kind of cool, but we never get that "this feels bad" feeling so we just live with it. But things disappear and reappear from time to time. So I thought the lock nuts had "Ghost walked", they did but not far this time.
If you ever need to get rid of a ghost, find out who it is and burn their bones...
if they were cremated, find the Item that they are attached to and burn it.
They may start out rather innocently, but as time goes on they get madder and madder.
Can eventually be dangerous.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I grew up with a few ghosts in my house. We think one might have followed us when we moved back in ‘83, but all is good to go with it.

·
Registered
02 1100 Spirit / 2012 Goldwing
4,909 Posts
I'm pretty sure my brother is stealing my 10mm wrench. I keep finding it in different places around my garage. He was always pulling crap like that as kids. I think he learned it from Grampa. In his day his thing was to steal a puzzle piece and give it up when the puzzle was done except the piece he had in his pocket. I miss them.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
A bit of good and a bit of bad. Start with the bad.
Had a piston ring pop out and get caught as I was putting the piston in and it bent. I fixed it, or so I thought and it is officially toast. So had to get a used piston from evilbay.

But there is good as well. While on Evilbay I did find a new aluminum radiator, so I grabbed that. The one I have now has a ton of fins bent from the previous owner. But now I have a new one in route, and it will help keep the bike cooler.

Now for the great news. All I’m waiting on is the piston and to finish the painting of the body parts. Fender and tank.

First I got her wheels on.

Then I started to run the wiring harness.

And got the front on her. And now she is just waiting for the engine to go in, body parts to go on. And I will finally get her back on the road!

Attachments

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wow! She's coming along nicely. As for "ghost walking" parts I can sympathize. I recently rebuild the front end of my '97 Shadow ACE VT1100 in an outdoor carport (don't have a garage). Anyway, you have inspired my to have a go at my motorcycle and give her a new "facelift". Much admiration.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts