Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
thought I might share progress on the restoration of my 1985 VT500C. Here are some photos of her before I received it, she had been sitting in a damp shed for 13 years:

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Hood Tire
Tire Wheel Furniture Automotive tire Tread

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Automotive fuel system Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Fuel tank
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Tread

Here is how she's looking now after a full strip down and rebuild:
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Vehicle

The only area I haven't really touched is the engine. She's only done 6k miles and started up well after an initial carb clean and oil change.

I haven't fitted the good exhaust system to her yet, I'm going to wait until after her MOT before doing this. Also there are various aluminium parts on the sissy bar which I need to polish up.

Still have a small running issue where the throttle response is very sluggish below about 4000 rpm, but perfect above that.

Can't wait to get the MOT complete and have her on the road :)

Attachments

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit 750
1,308 Posts
WOW, she looks great. Good work on the resurrection. I dont see the mud flap on there yet...must be giving that a really good cleaning ;). (I like mud flaps and so do radiators). Really good job. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,276 Posts
Nice bike, good work. (-:

IIRC the engine makes maximum torque at something like 7000 rpm and max. horsepower at 9000 rpm.
Based on that faded memory I would not expect it to really pick up its heels until about 4000 rpm, although it should play cruiser fairly smoothly well below that.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Wow. Looks like showroom compared to mine. I did similar restoration but concetrated on mechanical and left some of the cosmetics. It'll be a fun ride. Re the sluggishness it could still be the carb. Make sure all of the passages and tiny jet holes are clear.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Absolutely stunning! Did you get the seat reupholstered or did you find one new??
I ended up getting it reupholstered, although it took 6 months. The chap who did it for me had a huge backlog. But he did stick in some gel pads to help with the comfort :)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
WOW, she looks great. Good work on the resurrection. I dont see the mud flap on there yet...must be giving that a really good cleaning ;). (I like mud flaps and so do radiators). Really good job. Enjoy.
Well spotted! I got the tank, side panels and mud guards resprayed. As part of the process, the guy filled in the screw holes for the mudguard. It feels really bad to drill those out again!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts