Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I bought a 1986 Honda Shadow from a mechanic friend a year ago. I've put about 2000 miles on it already and it was running great but it stalled on me a few months ago and wouldn't start back up. I brought it in and my mechanic friend and I took the carburetor out and cleaned it up. We put it back but the bike wouldn't start up again. So now we're replacing the fuel pump and filter because it's inexpensive.

So I'm replacing the original fuel pump and filter and the hose to the shut off valve broke when replacing it. All the hoses from this bike are discontinued (can't find it anywhere) and the fittings from the pump to the filter to the peacock seem to be different sizes or they're expanding hoses. I'm not a mechanic and I'm learning about the bike as I work on it. We were thinking of taking out the shut off valve out and just running one 1/4 hose but I don't want to do that. IS there a universal peacock shut off valve I can use? Any suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Unless the hoses are cracked and leaking leave them on and replace the filter for now.
Test the pump output.
Try to get it running first, not throwing parts at it.
If you are getting fuel up to the carbs there will be some run out when you loosen the drain screw on each carb bowl. Make sure about spark.
The kill switch shuts off power to the coils and may be dirty, etc.
the hose from the pump to the filter did crack and it's an expanding fuel hose and it's discontinued so that's the issues i'm having. From the pump it's 1/4" and to the filter it's 1/2". I haven't touched the hoses from the filter to the peacock and shut off yet. I'm just trying to figure out how to find a replacement expanding hose. Seems like it shouldn't be that difficult. I think next time I work on it I'll figure it out. Thanks for the reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts