Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to site
Was wondering if there is a way to lower my 1986 Shadow vt500c? I have heard you can shave the seat but I really don't want to do that. I am a new rider and am on my tip toes. Husband bought bike for me as a surprise so I was not able to check this. Thanks for any input

Peggy

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
You can swap to shorter rear shocks from another model (hit the junk yards) and there are fork kits too. Donno what is available for this year/model in production lowering kits but check with Scootworks or call them.

·
Premium Member
2,270 Posts
New to site
I am a new rider and am on my tip toes. Husband bought bike for me as a surprise so I was not able to check this. Thanks for any input

Peggy
If you were my wife, I would want your feet flat on the ground when you're at a stop. Much safer for you. I'd look for a lower bike. Really.
It's already dangerous enuf for a new rider without having to deal with that. A common error for new riders is a dropped bike at a standstill or low speeds.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Welcome! Same situation for me and my wife. I ended up shaving the seat, it did make a nice difference, also the shocks were set up too high, adjusted them down to the lowest preload setting.

She is 5 feet even and has no problems now.

You could also slide the forks up in the trees an inch or so to get the front end down a little.

·
Registered
58 Posts
front forks?

Welcome!! It may be possible ( and cost $0 ) to loosen the clamps on your tree and simply slide the fork tubes upward an inch or two and re-tighten the clamps. Give the search function here, I am certain someone has discussed it sometime on this site.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Welcome!! It may be possible ( and cost $0 ) to loosen the clamps on your tree and simply slide the fork tubes upward an inch or two and re-tighten the clamps. Give the search function here, I am certain someone has discussed it sometime on this site.

No need to search, just look up four posts.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Possibly a pair of boots with a little taller heel for a bit more of heigth?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts