Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I was hoping for some insight here. I have removed the choke valve from the carburetor body by pulling hard with some needle nose pliers.

At first I figured out the problem was there since I had freed the choke cable everywhere but where it was attached to the carb body. So now I have the choke valves out but I tried putting them back in and they do not move freely, in fact they kind of get stuck again.

It appears to have some gunk in the housing and I'm gonna run and grab some carb cleaner right now to see if it will dissolve the stuff in there.

But I was hoping someone could give me any ideas on what else I could do to get these moving freely, obviously this is the issue I am having with her starting up as we were only able to get it running by manually choking the carb by partially covering the air openings.

I'm hoping the carb cleaner will remove the gunk in there and maybe there is some on the valve that I cannot tell. Is there anything I can do to get these moving freely? I was debating a super fine sand paper if needed but I am afraid this may cause issue with the valve and perhaps leak.

On a side note the one choke valve assembly had a quarter inch of the spring completely gone from rusting to nothing, just rusty gunk poured from the housing when I first removed it and now I am hoping I can just pick up a replacement spring as I did find replacement valve set for about $40 each.

I am not afraid to get new ones but I was hoping to get it running today and see if I need to do a full carb rebuild or not.

Any advice would be appreciated and also if there is a good place to get parts locally same day ;-) Let me know!

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
Gunk is rust. Are the cables moving freely OUT, with valves disconnected. I would be replacing the valves and cable. Try your local Motorcycle shops?????????

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
If you have rusty gunk on the choke valve, you already have worse inside the carbs. They need to be cleaned.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the response.

I was able to pick up a new choke valve set from the Honda near me. It was a bit pricey but they actually had one in stock!

I reassembled and she still won't start up, I think you are right and now I am working on removing the carbs.

I'll likely call the dealer again and see if I can get new cables and another valve set as its still pretty hard to move even after oiling them all up.

I'll post my experience when I'm all done! Thanks again!

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
They should not be hard to remove. After all they just sit in a hole and are held in place by a plastic nut. They need to be replaced in pairs. Infact anything that there is 2 or more of should be replaced as a set. lights, tires, spark plugs, Choke valves, ect. The cable is your main problem anyway, besides the builtup crud.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts