Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the biggest bike I've ever had, so excited to try a different style of bike than my norm. I tend to lean towards streetfighter style bikes. But this one is so clean and complete I'm just going try and get it reliable and just ride it.

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
Welcome. It looks like a decent start to a nice ride.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Been working on the shadow and finally got it running.

I now have to do everything else.
Going put in new fork seals and oil.
Change the engine oil
Change the rearend oil.
Go through electrical
Check that the brakes and clutch work.
Put in a new air filter and fuel filter
Mount the new fuel pump
Get some new turn signals

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

It was pretty gross.

Checked the rearend fluid and it looks clean and full. I might change it later just to be safe.

I'm going pull the forks tomorrow and work on getting the new seals in and new oil in.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
yup that looks nasty.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Been slacking on updates.

Put new turn signals on.

Got the headlight working. Put in a new bulb but this connector wouldn't stay tight and the headlight would flicker. Zip tied it together and problem solved.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Still need to do the front fork oil and seals and rear brake shoes.

Forgot to mention, I had to put in a new thermo switch for the radiator. So while the radiator was out I drained the coolant and cleaned out the debris stuck on the outside of the radiator.

Took it for a test ride and it rides out pretty good. But I discovered an I had an air bubble in the cooling system. I went ahead and pulled the housing because I noticed an oring wasn't sealing anyways.

Got to get some orings.

Also thinking about changing the fuel lines on the carbs. What have you guys been using?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Going run some vw fuel hose. Waiting on the orings to show up.

Started on the forks. Got them pulled off.

Have the left one taken apart and cleaned and started to put together but didn't have a driver for the seal and top bearing.

Fluid and bearings have definitely seen their better days.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Has anyone run into a stuck rear axle? The nut is loose but it's locked up tight. Sprayed it with some pb but hasn't loosened up any. Tried spinning the head with a punch through the hole and all that accomplished was bending my punch.
This is the most stubborn one I've ran into. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
Good question why it would that tight and not be able to spin a little. With your penetrant on it already, turn the nut out til it just is flush with the end of the axle and tap on it to see it it will move to the other side . Then tap it back an forth till it is looser.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Good question why it would that tight and not be able to spin a little. With your penetrant on it already, turn the nut out til it just is flush with the end of the axle and tap on it to see it it will move to the other side . Then tap it back an forth till it is looser.

Tried that, that's usually go to when they are stuck. But this one isn't budging at all

·
Registered
12,125 Posts
Can you see any rusty penetrant seeping out anywhere when you try to move it?
If it is stuck in the bearings it seems like they would be rusty and making noises. Where they noisy?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts