Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 1986 VT1100 recently that turns over fine but won't start. After a little diagnosing I figured out it's not getting spark to any of the cylinders. I was hoping maybe the battery was just a little weak so I hooked the jumper cables to my truck,not running, but still no spark. The black and white wires going into the coils have power with the key on but the blue and yellow wires don't have power when I hit the start button so I assume it is something before the coils. I opened the kill switch and put a jumper wire between the solder points but still no spark.
I ordered a Honda service manual but it hasn't came yet. Any ideas what I should be looking for?

·
Premium Member
2000 Honda Shadow Spirit VT1100C
3,367 Posts
The coils won't fire unless the sidestand switch is detected to be up, or the neutral switch is indicating the bike is in neutral. Check them both.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,720 Posts
The 1985-86 vt1100s have a cam sensor that others don't have. I don't know how it relates but it is tied into the ignition unit. When you get the manual maybe you can see if that will cause a no spark.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
the fuel cut out relay will keep the coils from firing. Find the relay and unplug it take a test light with key switch on and the start/ stop switch in run now test the 3 pins coming from the main harness only 2 wires should have 12v bike should start if does plug wire back in and test the 3 wires from relay all 3 should have power. 85/86 vt1100 has the wire going from fuel cut off relay to the coils.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts