Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all its been awhile since ive posted Well anyway the temp here where i live is in the mid 90's ive noticed vthat when the bike is moving or excellerating the temperature rises doesnt go the into red area like it did when i first got it ,it cools down abit at stops is this normal i would think that moving through air would cool it down some ,i hope this is not a sign of a failing water pump (note the engine fan has not come on since the day i got but i know it works since i grounded it an it works checked the fan switch too is this normal ? just afraid of blowing a head gasket dont need that kind of problem THANKS!

·
Premium Member
7,417 Posts
You're moving faster, but you're also working the engine harder. As long as it's not overheating, don't sweat it,(no pun intended) and ride safe. If your car has a temp gauge, watch it when you go up to higher speed, and it will do the same thing.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,790 Posts
Spray water through the radiator fins and see if they are clean.

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
3,448 Posts
If your coolant is a few years old I would replace it and make sure both the rad and the reserve are topped up. Your engine is getting older so maybe also check the thermostat and the rad cap.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
13,790 Posts
I remember a few cars doing something like that . They got hotter and hotter at freeway speeds but came down in temp when slowed down The cause was the radiator tubes were partially clogged so at high seed there was not enough coolant flow to exchange the heat. Ride it till warmed up and stop and shut it off and see if you can feel across the radiator fins see if there are cold spots. It is quite noticeable side to side up and down when it has restrictions.
The thermostat may be sticking partially open too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Being a mechanical pump, the only way it could really "fail" would be if it started leaking. Check for water or residue around the weep hole. Otherwise you could have a bad cap or clogged passages as mentioned above. Good luck!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Plug and play thermal fan switches are all over ebay/amazon for cheap.
You can even get them in a lower temp for the fan to come on sooner, something I've done when adding a fan to a dirtbike that didn't have one, but coolant won't flow if the thermostat is not OPEN, so check that too.

I'd change out the switch and thermostat just for the piece of mind.
You can test both old components in a pan of water on the stove, the thermostat can be seen when opening, and the switch checked for continuity.
just me tho,
:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts