Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am posting my third thread in hope to get in to the technical forum and get some help.

I recently bought a nice 1986 VT700 with only 1800 miles on it. The bike was sitting for several years so I removed the carb and cleaned it nicely. The main and slow jets are cleaned and nothings clogs them. Here are the list of other things I have replaced or done

1. Air, fuel, and oil filters.
2. Spark plugs
3. Float valves ( I made sure the floats heights (levels) are set to the manufacturer suggested 9 mm value.
4. Choke cable valve sets
5. Flushed Radiator, gas tank, and the reserve tank

Now the bike will barely run (at idle only) if the chokes are fully used. A little throttle will kill the engine. Do I have an air leak issue? Or should I check the fuel pump? Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
-Marco

· Registered
3,130 Posts
running very very lean

Fuel pump not working properly (if it has one?)

blocked fuel tap

shiet in the fuel line has blocked the jets after reassembly

Float level set too low

those are the first things I would check

· Registered
3,130 Posts
ohh and check the carbs are seated right and tight, and no damage to the rubbers

· Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks a lot for the hints.
I am gonna check the fuel pump as the carb and jets are as clean as diamond after two rounds of deep cleaning. (I must say thought that I did not leave the carb in any solution overnight. Should I try that?)

I just dont know how exactly I should check the performance of the pump. any idea there?
The carb should be seated nicely. The boots are looking really good.
The fuel tap was bad but I cleaned that when I first started the whole clean up.

The float valves level could be the issue. They were not good and I replaced them but the K&L replacement, which is the best I could find, is a little different (in size) from the original and I might have to change the suggested float level (which is 9 mm according to the official manual I have) to a different value.

Thanks again.

· Registered
2 Posts
Hi there, I'm fairly new to the forums. I've been reading solutions since I bought my 86 vt700 a few years ago, but until recently I havent spoken. Just wanted to make mention that I had the same issue as you are having previously, and I found out it was caused by basic unleaded, low octane, being used in the bike before I purchased it, with a full tank of low octane. Super or supreme, depending on your choice of gas station, was the fix to my issue, so I figured I would let you know, in case that may or may not be your issue as well.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,316 Posts
That is an old thread, but welcome to the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.