Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Mild embarrassment posting this question since "my bike won't start" threads are ubiquitous, but most of the threads I've found whilst searching this site deal with clicking noises or the engine not turning over or etc... This one, I get absolutely nothing when turning the key -- no headlight, no dash lights, nothing.

The battery is relatively new, and the tricklecharger has it fully charged. Furthermore, the power was absolutely fine one day while I was trying to start it for the first time this year (I live in warm Texas) until suddenly the keyturn did nothing. So it went from nice bright lights and starting power to absolutely nothing.

A lot of this is on me -- I'm admittedly a Toyota Supra Turbo guy (Mk3 gen, the '86-'92 flavour) with the Shadow as my backup vehicle, so it sucks to acknowledge that I have no stock shop manual (or Clymer, for that matter) for my bike. That needs to change! The bike's been so reliable for the past 7 years that I haven't needed to delve into the repair manual like I have on the Supra (have done full blown head gasket repairs etc. on that).

So... am I correct in saying that there's a main fuse associated with the VT700C that might possibly be blown? If so, where is that located? I couldn't find the location during a search here, but one thread mentioned that on the '85 VT500 the main fuse is under the left cover -- is that true of the '86 VT700 as well? For what am I looking to determine if the fuse is bad? Will it be visible and obvious, or do I need to 'test' the fuse somehow?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated. BTW, the other thing I've seen people mention is "take a voltmeter and measure the power at the battery terminals" -- my voltmeter was "borrowed" and never returned, so I need to grab another one soon. I've removed the battery, cleaned off the terminals, and put them back on, but that didn't do anything. Tricklecharger indicates battery is solid, and while I know that isn't a definitive proof of health, it is a fairly new battery and it worked perfectly up until a single moment where suddenly... nothing.

Thanks, and cheers,
Supra92

·
Registered
1,685 Posts
Follow your red(positive wire) from the battery. It should go to the starter relay.Your main fuse should feed off of that wire(assuming your 700 is like my 1100). Yes you do need to test the fuse unless you can see that it is bad. It can look ok and still not give you a connection.

You can cross the two large terminals on the relay and the starter should engage unless your battery is bad(make sure its in neutral). It won't start this way but the starter should turn over telling you the battery and connections to it are good.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Looks like the fuse is actually right there to the left of the battery (instead of over on the left side like on the '85 VT500). 30A fuse, does that sound right? Here's a pic of it.... depending on how that fuse comes out, it looks like the seat might have to come off first, especially if the fuse lifts upward and then out...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Took out the main fuse and examined it, and it looked to be fine but I snagged the spare fuse from below and put it in place just to be sure. Bike still gave nothing.

Hit up the neighbour for a full charger (not just trickle)... and sure enough the lights came on in full, both dash and headlight. But... the battery continued to 'lie' to both chargers claiming it was full, so... it appears the relatively new battery is bad.

The Supra doesn't come back from the shop until tomorrow evening, so I've been spending the rest of the warm day here in Austin polishing up the bike.

Once the new battery is in place, it needs to go down and have the choke cable looked at. It starts well enough in warm weather, but the choke cable has no pressure left on it and thus doesn't seem to 'engage'. It's been a gradual process -- from all the way to the right, sliding the lever resulted in no tension or engagement until about halfway across... then nothing until about 3/4 of the way across... and now i can dial it all the way to the left with seemingly no effect. Thankfully this is primarily an issue in cold autumn weather...

Thanks for the help on the fuse -- it helped narrow down the problem, and will hopefully have a new battery in place tomorrow.

Cheers,
Supra92

1 - 5 of 5 Posts