Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a vt 700 its an 87 I kept blowing my 30 amp fuses a year ago eventually missed second and reved it up blew the cdi ignitor and the headlight h something connector all the lights in the dash oil neutral etc and my starter solenoid which holds my 30 amp fuses
Replaced the starter solenoid
Replaced the cdi with one from igni tech
Replaced the rectifier thinking that caused it all the new rectifiers wires were swapped though on the new plug like red went to green and vice versa but black was the same when the original the reds went to red and greens to greens

Went to start bike it was dead jumped it it ran terribly and kept dying if id hold the throttle slowly it would rev up if id whip it to wide open Thorttle it would die
Carb was leaking fuel from front
Took out carb cleaned whole carb got float unstuck and replaced seals drilled out adjustment ports put both at 2 and a half screws out

Reinstalled carb bike ran good when batter was charged sometimes would bog down or sputter with no power at stop to go in first with the throttle open it would take 10 to 40 seconds to catch while I'm moving the throttle up and down to try to bump it up
Tested continuity in the stator and resistance tested good
adjusted idle and put seafoam in the tank after draining tank and carb got it running good
For maybe a week
Was going to sell it and blew my 30 amp fuse first time since the new tdi
Kept blowing fuses found battery to be dead on side of road as bike wasn't charging tried jumping a bunch burned up a wire from stator solenoid (replaced same day with 14 gauge) the tested voltage at idle at 2 k rpms any rpms you can watch the battery slowly tick down and i noticed the neutral light was stuck on checked connections everything so thinking the stators grounding out but maybe to not what im grounded to maybe its taking a different path idk I replaced that and considering the after market rectifier isn't exactly the same also got a Rick's motor sports one ( only to find red goods to red and green goes to green but no black wire in the middle?) And I got a clutch diode as mine was showing continuity either way) put the stator regulator recifier and clutch diode rectifier on bike bike ran good for 2 days now it dead and not charging help?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,680 Posts
The red is power to charge the battery.
The greens are always ground on these bikes , so don't connect anything with power to them. Unless on that regulator the instructions say different.
Measure the voltage on the battery and it has to go up to 13.5 to 14.5 volts when you rev it up.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,103 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot going on and it must be confusing. Look at the fault finding guide on this page and see if it helps sort things out.

·
Registered
11,707 Posts
Sounds like you have a lot going on and it must be confusing. Look at the fault finding guide on this page and see if it helps sort things out.
Actually the charging system is fairly easy to troubleshoot. It's either the stator, r/r or the wire connection between them. He didn't say anything about checking or replacing the stator.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
and legitimately I think the stater solenoid is part of the charging system also as the charge current runs through it through the red wires and the 30 amp fuse did keep blowing now everything's replaced fuse isn't blowing but now charging

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,680 Posts
Some guys have put on an aftermarket starter solenoid and the terminal letters are reverse from the original. Make sure the battery cable and the regulator red wires go to the B terminal. The M terminal is for the starter Motor. The yellow/red wire is the trigger from the start switch. The green/red wire is the ground side to the safety switches and ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.