Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys and gals,

I just bought a 87 vt1100. From what I have read. I won't be getting to many parts easily or for cheap. Want to rebuild it and get it back to cherry. I dont know how to attach pics. Fairly new here. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Billy

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Parts should not be a problem. The VT1100 was made until 2007 without many significant changes. The only real big change was the switch to a 5 speed in '97 and the tank was changed slightly that year as well. Other than that only minor changes throughout the bikes run.

If you had an '85 or '86 it would be a different story as those 2 model years are quite different.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I recently found an 86 that I was gonna use as a parts bike. Should I reconsider and go the other way? Fix the 86? Lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
I recently found an 86 that I was gonna use as a parts bike. Should I reconsider and go the other way? Fix the 86? Lol

As Spool mentioned, the 85-86 was a 2 year run. Actually, 1985 was the introduction year for the Shadow VT1100. Lots of differences in 87 on up. If I were you, dont get the 86 for a parts bike. Stick with the 87 and go from there. Ebay is packed with lots of Shadow parts. BUT, just an FYI that you may not have noticed. The 85-86 VT1100 is the only 1100 with dual front disk brakes. Sadly, you cant just swap a few things to the 87 and make dual disk work....

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
Don't buy the '86 for a parts bike for the '87, lots of differences.

'87-'94 (and '95-'96 non ACE models) are identical for all intensive purposes.
4 speed, hydraulic clutch, same motor, carbs, cluster, side covers, exhaust, gas tank, rear fender, and seat.

In '97, Honda introduced the Spirit, same basic engine as before, but 5 speed transmission, cable clutch, different exhaust, pegs, tank, rear fender, cluster and side covers.

·
Premium Member
2,533 Posts
Hey guys and gals,

I just bought a 87 vt1100. From what I have read. I won't be getting to many parts easily or for cheap. Want to rebuild it and get it back to cherry. I dont know how to attach pics. Fairly new here. Any help or advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Billy

Welcome aboard, Billy. Yep, we can probably help you. What do you need help with first?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. Back at it again. I'm searching for a gas tank and ignition switch. From earlier comments I see I can use 87-96 for these needs? I've been on Ebay and found some that may be close. Just want to CONFIRM with some experienced Honda rebuilds. Want to build my bike and get familiar with it so I can do all services that it may need. So any and all help is needed. Thanks again

·
Premium Member
933 Posts
You need to get a Honda Service Manual, not a Clymer or Haynes.

The aftermarket tends to have a lot of misinformation (but a lot of times has better pics of things). The OEM manual has the right way to do things. You may find some OEM manuals that are 87-94 (original printing), those are fine as well. I think the wiring colors changed in the '95-96 bikes is why there is an updated version (mine is actually a '87-94 with a '96 sticker stuck on in at a few pages added at the end.

I items listed for '87-94 (and '95-96 non-ace) swap 100%.
Post links to what your looking at and then we can verify.

Some things from '97+ also swap, but not always so you need to verify part # on websites.
You have to be careful with buying "Honda Shadow 1100 parts" since you have such a long production run and a few variations within the line.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts