Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thanks guys you really are a great bunch of gear heads..

I have a major oil leak when the bike is on and it is somewhere between the drain plug and the oil filter. When I start the bike the oil just pours out. Bike off no oil leak. I bought the bike with 52k and now have 73k miles.. I am thinking it is the shift rod seal.

Here are my questions?
Could it be something easier to replace?
Should I go ahead and change the clutch now also?

Can I make my own gaskets like I did for my Triumph?

Thanks guys...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I failed to mention it is the Leftside that the oil is leaking

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yes the filter is hand tight but not leaking from the filter itself... or where it mounts...
Yes this is a brand new occurrence. I did just change the oil. but Ihave done that every 3k miles since I owned the bike... I did use an off brand of oil but same weight as the Castrol I normally use..

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
16,838 Posts
just a couple of thoughts on your leak.
I have a 1983 750 shadow and the oil pressure switch is right about there where you are saying the oil is pouring out of. I don't know if yours is there too, but if it is it may have gotten smacked at some time and cracked the stem that is threaded into the case.
Or the plastic body of the switch may be loose or cracked.
It sits right in front of the oil filter on mine and thought it may be the same.
Also the case may have been hit in that area. That is the main oil gallery.
It would be rare for a gasket seam to just start leaking and POUR oil out.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just laughed so hard Ispit my beer all over my computer... I figured that was the issue... So I double checked the filter and drain plug before asking the question.... I just don't know what is behind the leftside that could make it leak like that... I mean it looks like your pouring out the oil...

Bit here is another dumb question what could happen if you overfill the oil?

Dumb question of the day ==>
Is the drain plug in all the way, and tight??

Merry Christmas
Ann & Dennis

(or not)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks... I will need to look closely at that..

just a couple of thoughts on your leak.
I have a 1983 750 shadow and the oil pressure switch is right about there where you are saying the oil is pouring out of. I don't know if yours is there too, but if it is it may have gotten smacked at some time and cracked the stem that is threaded into the case.
Or the plastic body of the switch may be loose or cracked.
It sits right in front of the oil filter on mine and thought it may be the same.
Also the case may have been hit in that area. That is the main oil gallery.
It would be rare for a gasket seam to just start leaking and POUR oil out.
Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
7,678 Posts
Your clutch push rod seal was the first thing that came to my mind as well. Easy enough to find out. Pull the side cover and see.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
Just a thought, but I think you are doing this all wrong..you wouldn't ask a blind man to look at your bike and tell you where the oil leak is or even if he thought it was flooding out or just a small leak.. A little drop makes a big splash.. and we all all blind when it comes to long distance diagnosis..here is my suggestion..

You said..I have a major oil leak when the bike is on and it is somewhere between the drain plug and the oil filter. When I start the bike the oil just pours out. Bike off no oil leak.

So the oil only leaks when it is being pumped through the engine..that should mean that it is above the normal level..not the drain plug..

get a roll of paper kitchen towel and a can of kerosine or anything to clean the engine and a paintbrush..use them to clean everything off the engine so that it is clean and dry..

Now start the engine and run it for no more than five seconds..see if you can find the source of the oil leak.. if the engine is still clean and dry start the engine again and run it for ten seconds.. repeat this until you find exactly where the oil leak is coming from.. it will help if you have someone to start the engine for you while you watch the engine.. remember that oil will drip off the lowest point even if the leak is a lot higher so wipe above the visible oil leak with your kitchen towel until you are certain you have found the source.. Then someone on here can give you a suggestion...

John.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did that John that is how Ican tell you that the oil pours out between the oil drain plug and filter. I am a pretty good mechanic when it comes to Jeeps but the cycle thing I always turned to my Pops who passed away... I was just hoping that there might be something else that it might be that could be fixed today... The oil leak is significant enough for a passing car to tell me I am leaking something. HEnce the major oil leak...

All the info points to this one item and I will know more once I open it up here in about an hour.

I have the parts ready to be ordered once I actually located where to reorder..

Thanks John for your help... and yes I understand the Blind comment...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For anyone having this issue theparts you need to replace it are on any OEM honda part exploded image under the water pump image... Part 7, 10, 24 and a Lside gasket for the cover is needed... not RTV... BikeBandit was 32.82 usd in 2014 with 2nd air being 28$ bite the bullet and having it shipped once I verify that is the true issue. All preliminary results point that is the issue.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
See attached photos
204 shows the place where it is leaking... the clutch slave no doubt
205 shows the leak on the left side of the bitton
207 shows the crushed cup which is what I need to replace but will replace all the components.

1987 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 VT1100C Parts, 1987 Honda Shadow Spirit 1100 VT1100C OEM Parts - BikeBandit.com

Here is the part breakdown...
I bought a 7, 10, and 24 per another user... I probably don't need the 7 but I like to replace it all when I can...

I am curious.. how to remove part 10 seems to be stuck inside..

But this should remove all the laptop theories:roll:.

Attachments

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
THe above images are upsidedown for some reason... Someone should lay off the beers before 12
:lol:

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
That looks like the pushrod oil seal leaking..it is very common..the slave has a thick spacer with a drain slot between it and the housing.. there are two types of seal, internal (inside the cover) and external.. I have removed the seal by bending the flat blade of an old screwdriver at right angles and feeding it through the center of the seal and hooking the seal out, you can clean any rubber left behind with a scotchpad..if you are lucky enough to have the external seal you can buy a clutch slave repair kit for very little money which includes the seal.. check before you buy.. looking at the third photo it looks like the seal has perished and come out by itself it's not supposed to be there it belongs in that round indent where you can see the pushrod..you need to pull the pushrod out and clean it with a scotchpad plastic washing up pad.

John.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I need a bit of clarification you say there is a seal in the cover.. are you referring to the piston seal that keeps the brake fluid inside of he slave? and you are correct that little bugger was completely crushed.

·
Registered
5,352 Posts
That third photo is not very clear.. but look where the slave used to fit and there is a round pencil shaped piece about 1" long and 1/4" across sticking out of a round 1" diameter hole.. that I" piece is the end of a pushrod, you can pull it out, the squashed piece of rubber stuck to the end of the slave is what is left of the pushrod seal that used to be in the 1" diameter hole. you can just peel it off the end of the slave cylinder, it doesn't belong there..

John.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts