Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up my first bike it’s a 1987 Honda vt700 with about 35,000 miles on it. Has not turned on for 6 years. Previous owner said that it had a hole in the piston and once it was fixed and fired up a slight knocking sound caused the bike to get put in storage and nobody ever worked on it again. He needed space so I bought it off him for $400.

I plan on turning this bike into a bobber but I must fire it up before I can start chopping it.

to do list:
-clean out fuel system/new fuel filter
-clean out carbs
-new battery
-new spark plugs and wires
-oil change/filter
-air filter

hopefully the bike fires up and I can diagnose the next little project on it. I’ll keep y’all posted.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,613 Posts
Welcome and I hope it goes well.

Maybe put a little ATF in the cylinders and spin it over while you are working on other things.
Listen for sounds when it is cranking.
Check the date code on the tires. If over 6 years old they should be changed.
And coolant would be a good change also.

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,089 Posts
While you have the plugs out turn the engine over by hand and make sure there isn't any resistance. I would want to check that who ever put it back together got the timing between the crank and cam correct.

·
Registered
1983 VT500C
669 Posts
Wireless Inspection cams are cheap these days, down to $35...
runs thru your cellphone or tablet via Bluetooth...
I'd invest in one so you could look right into the cylinder
and see EXACTLY whether or not it needs a top end rebuild.

Also pretty handy for checking out your drains & walls...
they can save you a fortune in home repairs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: haven’t done much since last time I’ve been a bit busy with work but I took the carburetor out (holy crap that was difficult to wiggle out)

-will be ordering a new tool set cause I’m tired of searching through my dads crap.
-ordered an inspection cam (thank you big shrek)
-and some marvel mystery oil (turn the crank/ty for the inputs ramie and swifty)

I’d say it looks pretty clean in here I’m almost positive it was drained before being stored.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Finally got the inspection camera. This is the piston closer to the rear of the bike. I think it might be touching the wall but it could be the lighting from the camera. Cylinder walls still had the cross hatching on them. Some small imperfections but I’m not seeing anything other than that touching (maybe)

I’ll be messing with it all day Saturday will keep you guys updated.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.