Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the bike 3 days ago and I knew it had issues starting and idling.

Information:
  • Compression: 165-173 ~ (Front/Back)
  • Spark: Yes ( All New Spark plugs)
  • Fuel to bowl: Yes
  • Cleaned Carb: Yes, but maybe not enough * thinking idle circuit"
  • Jets: Cleaned and two new 115 Mains and 40 other
  • Fuel Pumps: Working
  • Exhaust: Black out of rear pipe and cold air out of other
  • Tank: Clean
  • Fuel filter: Removed for testing
  • Air filter off: Currently just trying to get the front cylinder to start
  • Well not idle ( Idle turn all the way up)
So, Front cylinder is cold and is not starting. I am guessing because of this it well not idle. I can get it started (well the rear cylinder) every time with throttle. I have cleaned carb, but I don't know if it still could be a problem in there. I have compression tested the front and back with good results. I have changed spark plugs and have test for spark all the way around. I am at a little bit of a loss. any information need i can get. I can post video as well. Any help would be great!

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,198 Posts
Well, gas or starting fluid is much the same thing. Not everyone has starting fluid, so a tablespoon of gas in each cylinder will usually do the trick. If it runs like that, then you can turn your full attention on the carbs and fuel system.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, gas or starting fluid is much the same thing. Not everyone has starting fluid, so a tablespoon of gas in each cylinder will usually do the trick. If it runs like that, then you can turn your full attention on the carbs and fuel system.
Starter fluid / Gas did not work and confirmed there is gas going in to that cylinder. Changed oil found a little gas in the oil, but compression is fine ( 167- 175 )
Order new ignition coils just in case. It seemed to have spark when I tested it but it looked weak.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Starting fluid is too horror storied powerful for me. It's a tea spoon or two in each port. Hit the start button and if both cylinders fire, it's not compression. Call it spoon fed fired, weak or not it fired up.

You called the spark on the walled, I call it one amigo down, two amigo down.

Only one bandit left stealing something is gas. I can smell a circuit from here like you said in your first post.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,198 Posts
Yeah, I should have mentioned to use WAY less starting fluid/ether than you would of gasoline. So was the spark on the plugs strong or weak, by your reckoning? It should fire in any case. That was the issue on my ‘83, and I immediately removed the head and just put it back together as per the manual. It fired up…

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, I should have mentioned to use WAY less starting fluid/ether than you would of gasoline. So was the spark on the plugs strong or weak, by your reckoning? It should fire in any case. That was the issue on my ‘83, and I immediately removed the head and just put it back together as per the manual. It fired up…
I am getting new coils tomorrow and will report back.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts