Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Thank you ALL for some really excellent advice on customizing and tinkering, but I fear I am in need of some off the wall advice. I own a 1988 VT1100C that is starting to need some "updates". The first thing that is going to be updated is the fuel tank. (Starting to rust out...:cry:) I have been researching this for quite sometime and I need some help with some basic measurements. Would anyone be willing to measure the mounting holes on there 1998 Honda 1100 Aero fuel tank, this is the tank that has the filler dead center with the chrome trim panel around it. I know that there may be some customizing to get the tank to fit but with a model this old, and the lack of either stock or aftermarket parts available. Whats a guy to do? Or does anyone know of a company that sells just straight out custom tanks that can bolt on to those mounting points. Also I am going to be picking up another engine from that era of Shadow to rebuild over the coming winter and am wondering if anyone has access to or can point me into the right direction to find a good engine repair manual? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yah been there done that, just need those measurements and then I get to go shopping. Anyone willing to get those for me?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
My '89 VT1100C had the same rust issues. The paint was holding it together. Finding one of these old tanks in good shape is like finding a needle in a haystack. Any of the newer tanks from 1100 shadows will bolt right up. Now for the good stuff....You will need a petcock to fit the newer tanks, and they cost over $100.00. Your cap will fit the newer tank fine. The trim under the tank will need to be trimmed a bit, also, as the petcock is in a slightly different place, but other than that, they bolt up fine. The one I got off E-bay a few years ago was a buy it now price of $250.00, and was in great shape. Sure beats the $1100.00 the dealer wants for them.-------Metalguy :wink:

·
Registered
811 Posts
+1 on how hard it is to find these old tanks. I was going to put on a later tank on mine when I caved in a softball sized dent in the side of the tank, but I decided to go ahead and pull the dent and cream the tank. I like the shape of the old tanks just a little better.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well.... now that I know that the tanks will fit with minor tweaking, I am off to get some shopping in. I appreciate all the comments and suggestions. It is really nice to see some helpful people still exist. Once I have more detail on the upgrades I will start posting pics of her as the upgrades take place.

·
Registered
11,587 Posts
That is a 10 year old thread but maybe someone still alive on here will comment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'm in the same boat as the OP. I bought my 97 Shadow ACE with a big dent on the left side and, subsequently, I put a couple of small dents on the right side (I'm a new rider). I was thinking of just bondoing the tank be done with it. Yesterday I checked on eBay and there was a 98 Honda Shadow ACE VT1100C tank for sale painted exactly like my ride. What to do? So, if it's true that there is little difference between models of gas tanks I just might take the plunge and buy it.

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Billy,
I'm a Luddite and I still have a dumb phone. My postings are through my desktop computer. To attach pics there is a section called Quick Reply and below the text box there is a area where you can drag and drop pics. Hope that helps.

How can I make my avatar appear under my name?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
About this Discussion
13 Replies
8 Participants
JPatron
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing