Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone new to the forms and recently bought a 93 Honda shadow 1100. Trying to get it started and running is turning into a headache.. was told it needed coils replaced them and plug wires and new resistor caps. While attempting to start it after the new coils learned it wasn't getting fuel replaced the stock fuel pump with a facet pump from Napa 4-7psi. Wired it up ran fuel lines getting fuel to carbs no leaking. But no spark at plugs? Have started tracing wires and reading through some old forms and just can't seem to figure out where to look or what I'm even looking for. Tried calling a few repair shops just to be told they couldn't help.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,357 Posts
The spark signal begins at the pulse generators on the right side of the crankshaft near your brake pedal.They have been known to go bad.
Find the 4 wire connector and measure each pair off wires to each generator to see if they have about 450 to 500 ohms.

Attachments

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,357 Posts
Measure from white/blue to blue.
And white /yellow to yellow.
That is the pairs.
Unplugged from the ignition unit harness.

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,198 Posts
One thing you learn is that the cause of problems is usually never as easy as, “It just needs Part X…” if it was, they’d have fixed it, rather than selling the bike as cheaply as they are. 😉

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok so I tested both the blue wires together and both the yellow wires got 446ohms across yellows and 448 across blues. Coils get warm after cranking on the bike could it possibly be the el cheapo wires that came with the new coils

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok so I tested both the blue wires together and both the yellow wires got 446ohms across yellows and 448 across blues. Coils get warm after cranking on the bike could it possibly be the el cheapo wires that came with the new coils
Also like to note pulled the icm out and water came pouring out of it. What are my options on this situation?

·
Registered
'97 Spirit 1100 - Chandler, AZ
477 Posts
So the pulse generator resistances seem to be on the money.
Have you actually pulled one of the spark plugs and while connected to the ignition wire, held it against the engine and while cranking, confirm if there's a spark?

• If there's absolutely no spark, I'd be leaning towards a dead or wounded Ignition Module.
  • If it does spark, perhaps the timing is off, as in having the two coil input wires connected to the wrong coil?

Give it a shot - Kevin

·
Registered
477 Posts
Ouch! Posted my response before your latest post regarding the water-filled ICM.
That definitely will cause your problem.
I'd be looking for a replacement ICM, perhaps somebody on this forum, or start searching e-Bay or a motorcycle boneyard.

Wishing you luck getting her on the road - Kevin

·
Registered
477 Posts
Just to verify what way should the coils be wired up?
I'm at work, but will check my '97 1100's Service Manual when I get home this pm.
If the two pairs of coil input wires are swapped, the plugs will spark 180 degrees out of sequence near the top of the exhaust stroke, rather than the compression stroke.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I greatly appreciate the help! I definitely know I wasn't getting any spark at all on either cylinder. But the water that came out of the cdi box was rusty and metallic colored..

·
Registered
477 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
477 Posts
Tristan - That Carmo module sure is costly. Perhaps continue trolling e-Bay for a week or two and see if a good used OEM module becomes available and save some $$. Totally your call though.

Regardless, here's what my service manual says about the coil wires on the Spirit VT1100C and VT1100T from '97 thru '00:
Front Coil: Black w/White chaser & Blue w/Yellow chaser
Rear Coil: Black w/White chaser & Yellow w/Blue chaser

Wouldn't be surprised if they're the same on both our bikes 🌵
Musical instrument Font Parallel Pattern Art

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok a little confused looking at the diagram. With the coils installed on the bike the right side is the blue/yellow & black/white and plug wires go to front cylinders left side is yellow/blue &black/white going to rear cylinders

·
Registered
'83 VT750C; ‘21 SV650A
3,198 Posts
Then you’re good. Where the coils are mounted doesn’t matter. So long as a Bl/W goes to each one, and the Bl/Y is on the front cylinder and the Y/Bl is on the rear cylinder. You only have two cylinders, two plugs per cylinder.

1989-1994 should be the same part, if you want to widen your search.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Then you’re good. Where the coils are mounted doesn’t matter. So long as a Bl/W goes to each one, and the Bl/Y is on the front cylinder and the Y/Bl is on the rear cylinder. You only have two cylinders, two plugs per cylinder.

1989-1994 should be the same part, if you want to widen your search.
Greatly appreciate the help!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts