Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I have a 1994 Honda Shadow VLX 600 and I want to add a passenger backrest. I went cheap and bought an aftermarket model. (see pictures)

It does look like it has the correct shape from the pictures of other bikes that I have looked at, but I don't see how to install it. From the pictures you can see it does not look like it fits. The people that sold it to me assure me it is the correct model for my bike.

Has anyone put a passenger backrest on a 1994 VLX 600 that could give me some advice? Do I need to pull the fender off? Do it need spacers or other brackets? It didn't come with anything other than the seat itself. Do I need to drill holes?

Thanks for any help!

Matt

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,591 Posts
Sorry cant help with your backrest Inst, but Im sure someone will chime in to help you. and that is a Great looking Color on your bike !! :) Ride Safe.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,368 Posts
Looks like a lousey fit to me.
It may need some type of reinforcement brackets installed first to attach that piece to.
Can you look up other backrest kits and see how others are supposed to sit on solid brackets and bolts ? If you have a brand name you can research their site.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies. I like the color, too! :)

Not a stupid question. Yes, I did have the seat installed, then I took it off again to check to make sure it did not install to the bottom of the seat.

And I agree it's a lousy fit. Does anyone have a backrest that could send me a pic of how it mounts under the seat? That would tell me if I need a bracket or something. Are those four holes the ones I should be bolting to?

I'm dealing with the company that sold it to me. They are trying to help and been very responsive, but they still think it is the correct backrest.

I'm not so sure.

Thanks!

Matt

·
Registered
2005 Honda VTX 1300R
1,097 Posts
It looks like the backrest that was on my '96 VLX. (Same body style as the '94.)

It has been too long for me to remember the specifics. I am thinking I had to reach under the fender to get to the bolts. Did it not come with bolts?

I've taken another look at your pictures and now I am thinking it may not be exactly the same as the one I had. The tube that made up mine was the same diameter all the way around and it looks like the sides and back rest part of yours are different diameters. The mounting tabs look similar to what I had though.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I had to drill my fender holes to match the mount holes in the sub frame. I think my replacement fender I used was from a stlndard 93 VLX & my wifes 96 is a VLX Deluxe. There are some thick spacers that feel the void between the fender exterior & the sub frame. Is your bike a standard, it may not have came with sissybar so fender was not drilled for access to sub frame holes.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
"I had to drill my fender holes to match the mount holes in the sub frame. I think my replacement fender I used was from a stlndard 93 VLX & my wifes 96 is a VLX Deluxe. There are some thick spacers that feel the void between the fender exterior & the sub frame. Is your bike a standard, it may not have came with sissybar so fender was not drilled for access to sub frame holes."

Is there a way you can get me a pic of what that looks like? I hoping I can make this work, but just need a little direction.

·
Registered
294 Posts
On both sides of the seat connection there is a threaded welded nut. The front two sissy bar mounts attach there. The back frame that was yet to be reattched has the other two welded nuts. Both the standard & Deluxe VLX have these holes for sissybar. They just dont drill the fender to have access on the standard. You can eyeball the hole location. Use 2 or three thick wahers or find original spacers online. Good luck.

Attachments

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
THANKS! That answers it! I poked my head under the fender and I can see exactly what you mean. I'll be really careful drilling the fender out.

I have access to someone who can machine those spacers to fit. It does not look like they are even.

Thanks again for all the hints and help. These forums are awesome!

Matt

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Backrest Update!
I finally got the time to install the backrest. Pictures included. I drilled a hole in the back mount and since the fender mounts tightly to the frame, I didn't need a spacer. I drilled the front mounts and noticed that there was about a half inch gap between the fender and the frame. So I drilled the hole bigger and used a nylon spacer so that the fender would slide over the spacer and would not have any pressure on it when the mounting bolt was tightened down.

I used M6 bolts and shake proof nuts. I trimmed all the bolts down so there was no excess sticking out in the wheel well.

But when I got is all installed, I had a problem when trying to install the seat. The front mounting bolts on the backrest made it impossible to insert the seat mounting bolts. So I removed a washer I had on both bolts to lower them a bit. Then I ground a tiny bit off of each bolt head to gain a little more clearance. And finally, I squeezed the seat mounting bracket together with a C-clamp just a tiny bit, and that pointed the bolt holes up just enough so the seat installs nicely again.

Once again, thanks for all the help. I never would have tried this without help from these forums.

Matt

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.