Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking for highway pegs for my 94 Shadow 1100, but I don't want to use engine guards. All the ones I find that are supposed to clamp directly to the frame down tubes behind the radiator say they are 1 1/4" clamps. I measured my frame with calipers, and it measures 1 3/8". I can't find anything made for 1 3/8". Anyone else ever run into this problem? Or have any explanation? I deas?
The only pegs I find that would work are MC Enterprises MC3253. They look kind of cheap. Anyone ever use them?
Thanks for your input.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Two thoughts on this.

Kuryakyn makes great pegs, just more $pendy.
And they make excellent chrome clamps in several sizes - including some that will fit your downtubes; about $20 each.

That's the good news.

The bad news:

in just a few miles, yer gonna cook yer boots.
Not enuff distance between hot front jug and the inner aspect of your feet.
And if you try lowering them to get away from engine heat, now they are on the other side of your brake & shifter.
Plus: unless you get the even more $pendy 'offset' footpegs, yer knee & foot position is kinda close together. Kinda like a lady in a short skirt, trying to be modest.

( I helped a friend experiment thru this, about 3 yrs ago. These are just our findings. YMMV: Your Mileage May Vary. )

What it took to make this work was a 'mustache bar', which clamped onto the downtubes. They spread out actual foot 'placement' to a comfortable position, and can be adjusted up & down the downtubes.

And since I've switched to forward controls on my beloved FlyinJenni, and sold off my now-unusable highway bars, yes, I'm looking for a decent mustache bar, too!

Good luck! and please let us know what you find.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. It's been really frustrating. You would think that with so many Shadows still on the road, that the accessory market would be better. I don't know if the mustache bar would work tho, the radiator is in the way.
I may end up just fabricating a set and buying pegs.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I'm not any help but Welcome anyway!

·
Registered
11,518 Posts
Check these out--http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/4029/offset-highway-pegs
They do make clamps that will fit your frame. They should go out far enough to get past the exhaust. I had them on my 82 Magna and now have them on mounted on my guards.

·
Premium Member
3,352 Posts
Agree with Harryc.....I LIKE highway bars, but I NEED forward controls to be comfortable.
And so far: never the twain shall meet.

Nobody seems to make highway bars that will go 'over & around' forward controls.

If I could find it, I'd buy it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Check these out--http://www.kuryakyn.com/products/4029/offset-highway-pegs
They do make clamps that will fit your frame. They should go out far enough to get past the exhaust. I had them on my 82 Magna and now have them on mounted on my guards.
I looked at those. Some sites say they will fit. But the clamps come in 1 1/4" and 1 1/2". My frame is 1 3/8".

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I looked at those. Some sites say they will fit. But the clamps come in 1 1/4" and 1 1/2". My frame is 1 3/8".
The radiator is in the way if you want to position the pegs in the forward position. I checked before mounting my Kury's to the highway bars. Mounting them in the rearward position defeats the purpose and you'd probably have to remove the radiator to install the pegs.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm using the MC enterprise setup right now. They allow me stretch out, don't feel cheap. I'm not really fond of the look, but i got them used on ebay and they will do until i find a crash bar. You can see them in my sig photo here.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts