Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced vapor lock issues with this model?
Seems like when I get it into 4th to 5th gear it dies like it has no gas. After waiting a bit it will run again but keep quitting.
Currently waiting to hear from the shop what’s going on, but curious if anyone else has had similar issues.
Thanks!

· Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
10,498 Posts
1) Vapor lock (3x in 5 yrs.)) usually occurs sitting on hot summer after a ride to a hamburger stop. ;) 2) Fuel lines can heat up and collapse also which happen to my 2 yr. old 3,300 mi. 1100 Spirit. Fortunately the dealer took care of it it took them 2x to diagnose it.

· Registered
1999 VT1100C2 A. C. E.
9,292 Posts
Stock setup is a vent tube on the right (under) side connected to a rubber hose. (Petcock is on the left side.) Vent could be plugged or the hose could be crimped.

Easiest way to check for a blocked vent is to use the spare key to open the gas cap while riding. If this "cures" the performance problem then the vent is not working. If it provides no improvement, the problem is elsewhere. A mouse nest in the air filter could show the same symptoms.

· Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
20,327 Posts
Prove that it's out of gas by loosening the carb bowl drain screws when it happens and see if 1 or 2 ounces of fuel runs out.
Some guys with the 1100s have had the fuel pump go bad and replaced with aftermarket and relocated it and the filter since it is such a pain to get it out.

Attachments

Reactions: Pocohantas

· Registered
781 Posts
For diagnostic purposes, while I was working on my '96 1100 ACE, I bypassed the fuel pump and filter and connected the tank directly to the line that feeds the two carbs. The bike ran fine, although,
- I was just idling and revving with no load,
- There was no filter inline. I had, however cleaned and derusted the tank before doing this.

I have read that folks have connected up their tanks this way permanently. It seemed to me that flow might get sluggish for the last few quarts of tank capacity, there's not much elevation of the bottom of the tank over the carb inlets. And, I'd want an inline fuel filter. TJ Brutal Customs is an advocate of this mod, but then, his motto is "Ride Fast, Take Chances and DO FUN ****!!!" Can The Fuel Pump Be Removed From My Bike? - TJ Brutal Customs Support (shoptjbc.com)

Once I got the engine running reasonably well on my machine, I reconnected the loop down to the fuel pump and filter, and made sure everything in the system was working correctly.

The manual suggests a fuel flow test. If I remember correctly, with the fuel pump "relay" bypassed, and the carb feed line running into a collection jar, the system should be capable of delivering 800 ml / min to the carbs.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts