Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I’m new to the site, just got my first Honda shadow, had a vintage Suzuki prior. It’s a 96 VT1100, feels great and looks great. Just want to know what to watch for. It’s in amazing shape with 31,000km. What do I need to fix or watch for to properly care for this?

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,044 Posts
The same thing you watch for with any bike. Poor running, leaks, backfires, smoke, etc... It’s nice to be aware, but don’t ruin your enjoyment of riding by always expecting an issue to come up. Just keep doing the periodic maintenance, and enjoy the wind in your face!

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
402 Posts
Howdy Jaredmwiebe91!

I would think that you don't really have anything to worry about with that bike other than the usual aged out things...hoses, fluids, general maintenance stuff. Maybe dirt or sludge in the bottom of the gas tank...

Congrats on your new ride!

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,168 Posts
Always check the three yellow wire connector coming from the stator.

Reactions: h13man

·
Registered
06' VT1100C/99' GL1500C Valkyrie
9,283 Posts
My only "quit" on the road involved the the starter switch being old. They can be cleaned or replaced. No lights and wouldn't start were the symptoms. Had to have help "bump" starting a Valkyrie. Glad I was the driver not the two "pushers". :D
Battery should be a AGM style not a lead acid variety. A tender isn't needed for seasonal riding unless a month of sitting is going to be anticipated and it being a cold starting VT1100, your call.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, I’ll check the three wires, and I’m thinking I should probably just take it in for a tune up and change fluids. The bike starts right away and seems reliable, it’s does back fire on me occasionally when gearing down. The only other issue I had was my clutch is giving me problems. It will build up pressure after riding and get to the point that it won’t disengage the clutch when hot. Once I crack the banjo nut to bleed out a bit, it functions perfectly again. I flushed the system as best I could following the service manuals steps. But it still does it. I don’t know if it’s a simple fix, or actually a damaged part. Regardless, I realized I’m apparently not as good with tools as i hoped 😂

·
Registered
140 Posts
The weird "T shaped" batteries are expensive and a bit hard to find. If I had one in my bike, I'd try hard to keep it going, the brick shaped battery that can fit in the same space is rather low capacity for a bike dependent on electric start.

Fuel pump cutout relay and fuel pump seems marginal. Access to the fuel pump on my '96 VT1100C2 ACE really sucks. The fuel delivery system design pisses me off, much ado about nothing!

Wrapping a liquid cooled engine with a fake air cooling costume is pretty annoying too. It's a Harley halloween costume.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
A 96 1100 should be a cable operated clutch,,, check the neck for vin and build date.

If it's a hydraulic clutch, may be something else, There's a very small hole in the bottom of the clutch master cylinders that may be full of crud and plugged up,
Might have to poke it out with a small, stiff wire. Fluid probably needs changed anyway.

Also may be a good idea to have the carbs cleaned and the carb diaphrams checked for holes, tears, splits. They're rubber and it's (at least) 25 years old if no one's been in them before.,,,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts