Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm Chris and I'm Shadoholic. Long time lerker, first time poster. Friends I'm somewhat stumped.

tl;dr 30A blown, fried relay, replaced, still no lights.

Full story from the beginning. I've got two of these exact same 98 Vt1100c3's. I got them from a buddy who had wrecked one and got another, & used the old one for parts. Bought them from him rode the first one around for a couple years until my dumbass rode north and forgot to put antifreeze in the bike. Only ever had water in it so living in Florida I didn't put much thought into it. This should suffice to set the premise. I'm not a stupid man, but I more often than I'd like, I do some dumb sh*t.

Since you have to pull the motor to change the water pump anyway, I decided to move all the good parts to the second bike, that has now been sitting for some 5+ years and slowly raped of all goodness. (I'm a mechanical engineer and very mechanically inclined by upbringing.) And, I figured disassembling one would be an excellent learning tool to re-assemble the second. All went surprisingly well and I've been riding around on this thing now for just over 8 months daily. So to the problems.

Some minor things, oil seeps out of cam plugs, clutch plugs. Not so minor is that the bike wouldn't charge up the battery and I'd have to put it on the trickle every couple days after riding. But sitting for a few days it holds a charge no problem (no phantom drain). I didn't feel like f*ckin with it too much until it was necessary as this is my only mode of transpo atm. I literally bought a new stator, r/r, new relay, new fuel pump and filter, and carb rebuild kit two weeks ago, gearing up to fix the problem. Of course as life would have it, no couldn't wait.

So I'm driving home from work a couple days ago and I pull up to a light and the bike dies won't start. No worries I have a little variable setting jump box that I use to start the bike occasionally when the battery is too low. It seemed my dumbass may have accidentally put it on the 18v setting and boom no lights.

Fine push the bike out of the road. I ride with a full gambit of tools required to work on nearly everything on this bike. Remove the seat, 30A main blown as I suspected. I have a spare fuse, swap it out turn the key on, lights. Nice, I put everything back together, stupid.

Always make sure she starts first. I didn't want to waste the battery. Try and start the bike and now, I've released the smoke from some unknown source. Great. Pull the seat back off. 30A fuse blown again only this time when swap the fuse no lights and when I connect the jump box, ensuring it is in 12v, it beeps at me solid tone. We'll that's not good. Big bag o'd*cks. Everything is f*cked, $120, 4 mile tow ride later.

Check the starter relay and find continuity across the high voltage terminals. Ok. Replace the relay, turn on the key. Nothing. No lights nothing. So there you have it.

Any ideas? Fried ignition switch? Burnt ground somewhere? Suggestions would be much appreciated. I know at this point it is just process of elimination. But perhaps a tip on what you might would check firsts?

Thanks for taking time to read this. And again, any and all expert or experienced advice borne of reason is greatly appreciated.

Hope it was somewhat at the very least an entertaining read.
Christopher

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,691 Posts
Some guys have put on an aftermarket starter solenoid and it has the terminals reversed from the factory part. So look for the B terminal and make sure the battery cable is on there. The M terminal is for the starter motor. Easy thing to check anyway.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
View attachment 288822
20200718_125811.jpg
20200718_125847.jpg
Shout out to this guy! Thank you Swifty. I put this thing on the other evening, it was kind of dark and didn't even notice the labeling on the terminals. What's funny is the wire is meant to only go on in one direction. Had to bend the metal wire connector to make it work. Anyway this has given me the motivation to knock this much needed maintenance out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This got the lights back on, and it started, no problem. Then I noticed the r/r smoking, pop fuse blows. OK so I'm spending this Saturday completing some much needed maintenance. Glad I got the parts. Lesson here folks. Fix the problem before you get stranded.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts