Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

New to this forum, so I am sorry if this isn't in the right place.

I am looking to purchase my first motorcycle. I found a 1999 Honda Shadow on FB.

The good: New Stator, regulator, and rectifier. New valve cover gaskets, new battery, new plug wires. Tires less than 6 months old. Memphis detachable windshield, Mustang front and rear seat.

The bad: 50k miles and the guy says it is leaking from the oil pump gasket. I've tried looking up parts on that and couldn't find much. I'm a mechanic so I could more than likely perform any repairs needed.

He wants 1000 but I may be able to talk him down to 750-800, its been on there for over a week.

Is that a good buy or is this bike more than likely on its last legs?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
Welcome . Might be a great bike since it sounds like he took good care of it. The oil pump is inside the right engine cover so no gasket to leak externally. A lot of the 1100s in certain years had a shifter guide plug get loose and leak on the left side near the gear shift shaft. If that is it, a lot of guys here have the fix for you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome . Might be a great bike since it sounds like he took good care of it. The oil pump is inside the right engine cover so no gasket to leak externally. A lot of the 1100s in certain years had a shifter guide plug get loose and leak on the left side near the gear shift shaft. If that is it, a lot of guys here have the fix for you.
Thanks for the info!
So should I be worried about the miles on the bike? I’ve heard that some people get 85k plus before doing anything super major. Thanks for the fast response. Probably going to go look at it tomorrow.

·
Registered
11,016 Posts
Thanks for the info!
So should I be worried about the miles on the bike? I’ve heard that some people get 85k plus before doing anything super major. Thanks for the fast response. Probably going to go look at it tomorrow.
That's low miles if the guy changed the oil/filter at regular intervals and did regular PM. Low miles if it has been used on a regular basis right up until selling it.
You should ask the seller when he last rode the bike regularly, how it was stored, and why did he do the repairs right before selling it. Ask him why he is selling it.
It looks like a good clean bike that was stored and well kept. If it sat, the pictures tell me it didn't sit very long.

Please post if you pull the trigger on this, or find another bike you like.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have an 1100 1999 with a little over 50K on it, no major problems at all.

Did you check the tire dates? If the tires are decent I would buy that in a heart beat for $800, even a thousand.

·
Premium Member
2,609 Posts
He said it was an 1100 Shadow but not a Honda Shadow Spirit. The Spirit's all have alloy rims, right?

ACE or an Aero?
Yes, the Spirits have alloy rims. The front fender in his pic reminded me of the Spirit's fender which is why I asked. I wish he would have posted some pics from the sides. Being a new to Honda rider, he may not know there are several models of the 1100 Hondas.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Yes, the Spirits have alloy rims. The front fender in his pic reminded me of the Spirit's fender which is why I asked. I wish he would have posted some pics from the sides. Being a new to Honda rider, he may not know there are several models of the 1100 Hondas.
You are right he just knows it's an 1100. Personally I like the look of the Spirits better then the other models for that year but it's not really important which model it is exactly.

Actually is he sure it's not a 750? I don't remember 1100 being stamped, painted or whatever anywhere on my bike.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Those LeatherLyke bags on it are probably $300
That bike looks in great shape with many goodies that were added on. Those seats aren't stock. The turn signals, mirrors etc. etc.

If I was him I wouldn't worry about the mileage or a little oil leaking somewhere. I doubt it's a major problem. Most of the time oil leaks are just annoying more then anything. Ask any Harley rider, just put more oil in and you'll be fine.

This is kind of interesting on how this road trip worked out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Not uncommon for those engines to go well over 100,000 miles. As many accessories as it has and as well kept
as it seems to be 1000 bucks is quite reasonable.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all,

New to this forum, so I am sorry if this isn't in the right place.

I am looking to purchase my first motorcycle. I found a 1999 Honda Shadow on FB.

The good: New Stator, regulator, and rectifier. New valve cover gaskets, new battery, new plug wires. Tires less than 6 months old. Memphis detachable windshield, Mustang front and rear seat.

The bad: 50k miles and the guy says it is leaking from the oil pump gasket. I've tried looking up parts on that and couldn't find much. I'm a mechanic so I could more than likely perform any repairs needed.

He wants 1000 but I may be able to talk him down to 750-800, its been on there for over a week.

Is that a good buy or is this bike more than likely on its last legs?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ace 1100, '95-99. Looks like quite a few goodies. Aftermarket exhaust, mustang seat, backrest, luggage rack, leatherlyke bags, windshield, etc. These are the single crankpin Shadows (like harley) for that potato-potato sign. I have had three of these they are rock solid. One in my stable right now.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Little late here, but...
It's an Ace. Same motor as my Aero 1100. Imho, best 1100 they came out with. I have a 90's Spirit, and had a 2002 Sabre. More power than either. Sabre was the dual pin, detuned, with the tranny geared to make up for it.
For 800 or even the full 1000, I'd jump on it. Be aware, though- short production run on the motor (4 years if I remember correctly). Other than that, just about everything else is the same as the Sabre.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts