Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm new here and I have a Hond Shadow VT600 that has been in storage for almost a year. Got it home and changed out the air/fuel filters...gave it new plugs and a battery, cranked for a few seconds then quit. Then I broke down the carbs and clean them out, there was varnish in there and one of the float bowls seemed like it had been dry for a good while..anyway, I did not mess with jets and DID replace the float bowl gaskets. I believe the starter motor is working fine, and the fuel pump is working too... After cleaning the carb, it cranked and purred for 3 seconds and quit and I just dont know what Im doing wrong? Plugs have fire and fuel seems to be circulating as it needs to...please help!

·
Registered
55 Posts
its a 97 so it should be twin carb you have a fuel pump check to see if it comes on when you turn the key this is very easy to do if its not running give it a good tap that should get fuel flowing if not check and replace fuses and relays before you go and buy a pump

·
Banned
740 Posts
After cleaning the carb, it cranked and purred for 3 seconds and quit and I just dont know what Im doing wrong?
You are guessing rather than doing some simple tests to see what the problem really IS.

Like opening the drain screws on the bottom of the carbs to see how much fuel comes out; probably won't be much.

In addition to the fuel pump, it could just be a plugged fuel filter or screen in the tank......or a kinked hose.....or the petcock in the wrong position.......or the vacuum hose off from the petcock.

It's a really good bet that the fuel is not flowing like it should.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.