Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... today was the day... what was supposed to be a 15 minute 'test ride' ended up being over an hour :)

Over the winter I did the following:

- 4 deg timing mod
- stage 1 jet kit (i had the stage 1 exhaust mode done last year)
- K&N air filter
- 39T sprocket
- bernett clutch springs
- new corbin seat

...and I gotta tell ya (like you don't already know) the bike feels so different and i couldn't get the grin off my face :D I can't believe hom much the bike pulls now... any gear, you crank the throttle and DDDDAAAMMMMNNNN !!! it pulls !! I couldn't believe it. The shifting is great, i barely got out of 3rd gear!

Its hard for me to tell which mod did what, since i did everything at once over the winter - but as a combo it all works great. I couldn't be happier. So to all of you who still have a stock ACE... DO THE MODS !!! You will NOT regret it!!

Only thing left for me to do to get the bike running 'perfect' is to synch the carbs... The bike doesn't idle exactly perfect, and there is the occasional hick-up here and there and it sounds like it might be backfiring a bit at idle and when closing the throttle (might have to play around with the air mixture screws - right now they are set as per stage 1 jet kit instructions - Screws are set to 2 and 2.5 turns)... or maybe it's the K&N filter letting in more sir. We'll see.

The Corbin seat also makes a HUGE improvement. I had the stock seat mod but it just doesn't compare.

...Still smiling :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sounds like you've been busy! If you have the stock air mixture screws, you could turn them out to about three turns. I tried the suggested 2.5 turns and my ACE idled a bit rough and I got lots of popping on deceleration. I turned the air mixture screws out to 3 or 3.5 and she ran much better. I know every bike is different, but mine ran great at about 3 turns out each cylinder. Enjoy.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
IndyAce said:
Sounds like you've been busy! If you have the stock air mixture screws, you could turn them out to about three turns. I tried the suggested 2.5 turns and my ACE idled a bit rough and I got lots of popping on deceleration. I turned the air mixture screws out to 3 or 3.5 and she ran much better. I know every bike is different, but mine ran great at about 3 turns out each cylinder. Enjoy.
Ya, I'll fiddle around with the mixture screws. I used to have them at 3 or 3 & 1/4 before installing the jet kit or the K&N filter. I followed the jetting instructions in the kit and it suggested 2 turns for the front and 2.5 for the rear.... HOWEVER, I just realized that those instructions are for dual pipes. Since I have the modified stockers, both front and back should be set the same amount of turns... I'll start at 2.5 for each and go from there :)

Lisa said:
Thats awesome Raphy!
Hope to see you and the bike sometime this year.
Definately Lisa... Unlike last year, this year I will be attending a few rides with the forum folk :) Looking forward to it :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.