Honda Shadow Forums banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I can relate to that "white knuckled death grip" although it has been awhile since I did it! For long distances, I installed a "Sound Off Recreational Universal vista cruise control" from my local bike shop. The mechanic there helped me figure out which of the inserts I needed (there are several different sizes included in the package) and then made sure it was installed right. You have to have it tight enough to hold the position, but loose enough that you can physically force it back if you have to. It has a neat little thumb lever that sets and releases it. Took less than 10-minutes to install and I use if only on the open interstate, and only if there is little traffic as I adjust my
throttle too often in traffic.
Copied image from motorcycle superstore but identical to mine.

Here is a picture of the installed control. See the thumb lever that is held/released by the spring loaded screw? Pretty simple and it works.

Enjoy your bike and glad you got there and back, dodging the weather!

·
Registered
461 Posts
For those that use throttle locks, what happens if you need to emergency stop? How does that work?
The Vista Cruise friction setting is adjustable. Even without releasing the friction lock, I can still roll the throttle completely off if necessary. That said, I do not engage it unless I am on a piece of open road where I can see a long ways off. No need inviting trouble.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks for all the replies. You guys rock!

I think I'll pick up a new set of grips soon. The rubber is really smooth on the throttle grip and I can feel my (heavy) glove slipping if I don't squeeze harder. My warm-ish weather gloves stick pretty well to the grip though, so I can keep a feather touch and stay on with no problems. I'll end up wearing both my heavy gloves and lighter ones tomorrow though. It's supposed to be 38 when I leave in the morning and 55 when I head home. So I'll play around with both and see how they feel.

And worst case... I have an excuse to run by CG or Bates on my way home from work tomorrow to pick up a new toy ;)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
You have to make a consious effort to let the Fingers flex every few miles when you are running hard and fast down the Slab.Stick your fingers out with your thumbs still on the bottom of the bars and wiggle the hell out of them every so often.The throttle hand will still cramp and thats what the Vista Cruise is for.Pull your hand off the bar and flex it out.The V-twin is a different ride than any other configuration so it makes it worse with all the vibration going on

21 - 24 of 24 Posts