Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We rode with another couple ( 4 bikes ) last night for dinner and ran across a group of 8 bikers who were riding 2 abreast. All of my riding buddies always ride staggered and refuse to ride 2 abreast ( which is great as I prefer that ).

I am curious to know how other groups ride and also what your own personal preference is ?

Myself I prefer a staggered formation. I like the room on either side of me to be able to swerve if there is an object in the road. I also have a fear of being taken out by a biker right next to me who swerves into me.

What do your riding buddies do and whats your preference ?

Chris

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
I'm with you, Chris. I don't like riding two abreast and won't do it. I try to make as much space for myself as I can when I'm riding. It broadens your margins for error.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Two abreat is for parades only! I'm with Chris. Staggered is the only way to ride in a group. At stop lights/signs our group may pull up next to each other to talk or whatever. But once the light turns, we take off staggered.

·
Registered
111 Posts
This one isn't a close call. Staggered, if you don't want to become a statistic.

As luck would have it, there is an item in this morning's Police Beat in the local newspaper. It was on the news last night also, which is why I suspect there will be a slightly damaged VRod and Dyna Glide for sale shortly--the news showed the bikes being hoisted onto a flatbed. Both bikes appeared brand new.

They were riding (you guessed it) two abreast down a four lane road with turn lane, two lanes each direction. They were in the left lane, a vehicle was in the right lane beside them. My girlfriend and I happened to be riding the same time of day, different part of town, so I know it was windy.

You guessed it: They bumped each other and went down. Word in the paper was they were both taken to the hospital with "non-life threatening head injuries." Well, sorry to be blunt, but you can say that again: Given the description of the accident, these folks likely didn't have much inside their craniums to begin with. Never, never, never ride two abreast, especially in a situation like that: Windy and boxed in by a vehicle. The speed limit on the road where this happened is 50 mph, so they're lucky to be alive.

I'm guessing they were the type that finally got enough money to buy Harleys but didn't bother to learn how to ride, which accounts for swelling accident statistics in recent years with the age of the rider and size of motor ever increasing. That's only a guess based on the bikes I saw on the news last night and the description of what they did. Experienced riders never go two abreast, especially in the wind, or they don't live long enough to become experienced riders.

·
Registered
526 Posts
If you ride 2 abreast, then you dont ride in PA.

The staggared pot hole avoidance formation is the only way to go.

Yesterday I was riding with another guy, he knew where we were going so he led and rode inside and I rode outside. That is a pretty broad description though, I was middle and inside doing avoidence and he was middle and outside.

·
Registered
2,902 Posts
my husband and I ride staggered when windy, curvy, faster than 35..... which basically leaves us riding side by side only in the middle of our bumpkin town where speed limit is 25-35 and there is a stop light every block. It is pretty fun and we are very super aware of each other. We do not take off together at the lights, I give him a few seconds and then follow since take offs can be unsteady.

·
Registered
188 Posts
If I'm riding with the group of guys I've been riding with for years then we usually ride 2 abreast. This usually takes place on highways and other 4 lane roads. If the road is narrow or winding then we usually run staggered. We don't really signal to each other when we want to or don't want to everyone just seems to know when the right time is and isn't. But like I said we've been riding together for a long time.

Now, if I'm with someone I don't know or trust then yes we are riding staggered.

--BB

·
Registered
111 Posts
I don't mean to be a stickler here, but I guess I'll be a stickler.

I don't understand all this "parade formation" stuff. You should NEVER ride two abreast, at any speed, period. What advantage is there to doing that? I can tell you what the disadvantage is: If one goes down, chances are both will go down. And you can go down for the silliest reasons: Animal crossing the road, swerving to avoid a bicyclist who appears out of nowhere, etc., etc., etc. One clown in Washington state recently sued someone because a mis-tossed football caused him to go down.

If you need to communicate anything more complicated than pointing to your gas tank to indicate you need a fuel stop or tipping your hand to your mouth to signal you need beer, then pull over and talk. Motorcycle safety is all about minimizing risk. Riding two abreast constitutes unnecessary risk.

Class dismissed.

·
Registered
569 Posts
for me never side by side. a dog might run out into the road and i hit it, and the person beside me is now involved. did a charity ride few years ago, 2000 bikes, side by side (not all of em!). with the mix of riding skills (and common sense) it was terrifying at times. i made it home fine, but there were several incidents. no more such rides. the riding group i occasionally join can be 6 to 70 or more bikes, rides staggered, groups of 10, 5 mph over max, single file thru sharp corners, always maintains a 2 sec interval between bikes. i ride more with a few riding buds, we do the same, but a lil faster. i did say never side by side, but when at walking speed going thru the center of a rally like laconia, i guess thats an exception.

·
Banned
4,110 Posts
Christopher said:
We rode with another couple ( 4 bikes ) last night for dinner and ran across a group of 8 bikers who were riding 2 abreast. All of my riding buddies always ride staggered and refuse to ride 2 abreast ( which is great as I prefer that ).

I am curious to know how other groups ride and also what your own personal preference is ?

Myself I prefer a staggered formation. I like the room on either side of me to be able to swerve if there is an object in the road. I also have a fear of being taken out by a biker right next to me who swerves into me.

What do your riding buddies do and whats your preference ?

Chris
Staggered or inline. 2 abreast is stupid and dangerous.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Riding a motorcycle IS stupid and dangerous--there's no way around that. All you can do is try to limit the risk and make it less stupid and dangerous than it already is.

BTW, turns out I was wrong about the road on which two local riders bumped each other while riding two abreast yesterday and ended up in the hospital. It was actually a two-lane road, one each direction, with a 35 mph speed limit. No indication they were speeding.

Probably just in parade formation.

Once more, please: Can anyone who does ride two abreast say why they do that? I can't for the life of me see any upside to doing that, just downside.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
staggered only - anything unusual happens and your going to have enough problems without worrying about the other rider.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Pennsylvania motorcycle handbook states that you should ride staggered. You are taught at the MSF class to ride staggered. A question on the permit test has an answer for that as staggered.

Pennsylvania law states you can ride 2 abreast lol.

I would ride staggered if it were me though. I am greedy and like having the whole lane to myself 8)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.