Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got this bike, What is ideal setting for the adjustable shocks on it
and what is large turning knob under carb breather cover did not get manual with this bike so I need to get one for it any recommendations on a book
Thanks Norm

·
Registered
612 Posts
Set your shocks to your liking. If you ride 2up, then you might want to stiffen them up some.

The black knob will adjust your idle speed.

Just play with it while it's idling. You'll see. ;)

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
and what is large turning knob under carb breather cover did not get manual with this bike so I need to get one for it any recommendations on a book
Thanks Norm
What bike,,year and model helps.

·
Registered
99' Valkyrie/North Central Indiana
9,566 Posts
Thanks Norm
OEM Honda manual.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
Shock adjustment relates to two aspects of the ride, feel and safety. It is a balance of the two. If you have the setting set too high it would create a harsh feel to the ride and it could cause the tire to leave the ground when going over a bump in the road. That could be especially dangerous if you hit the bump while going around a curve. Ideally, the spring would compress as the wheel travels over the bump and push the wheel back down onto the road as it passes over the bump without affecting the bike as a whole. If the setting is set too high, the spring compresses less, launching the whole bike over the bump. Setting the adjustment too low could cause the suspension to bottom out frequently. This is bad for the bike and the rider. Personally, I tend to set it on the softer (lower) settings and watch for it to bottom out. If it happens with any frequency at all, it is probably set too low.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Um, no. The settings are only for preload of the spring, setting it to the lowest setting wont even begin to allow the bike to bottom out on a stock setup even with 550 lbs on it. Having it set to high only gives you a very harsh ride, but in 26000+ miles i never had the rear tire leave the ground unless i intended it to.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Requires a spanner wrench? I have a garage full of tools, but never had a spanner wrench. So I get one from the Honda dealer for what? $30.00?

·
Premium Member
7,686 Posts
Requires a spanner wrench? I have a garage full of tools, but never had a spanner wrench. So I get one from the Honda dealer for what? $30.00?
Seems like the one I bought at the Honda dealership was a Bikemaster brand and was about 8-10 bucks. My vlx had one in the tool kit for the mono shock.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Thanks Norm
Turn it to eleven.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Depending on a couple variables, like how long it has been since the shock was adjusted, how much muscle you have and whether you have the extension sleeve to slip on the handle of the shock tool. When I adjusted my shock (2002 model) not only did I have to use the flat extension sleeve but a hammer to get the shock setting to change. The pic on the ebay ad is somewhat misleading in that one does not have to remove the shock from the cycle to adjust the tension.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Um, no. The settings are only for preload of the spring, setting it to the lowest setting wont even begin to allow the bike to bottom out on a stock setup even with 550 lbs on it. Having it set to high only gives you a very harsh ride, but in 26000+ miles i never had the rear tire leave the ground unless i intended it to.

^^ Well that depends on the roads you travel...... and the shocks etc.
My std shocks would bottom on both bikes if set on the lowest setting.. but then our back roads are prone to big dips and bumps, with the aftermarket shocks it bottoms less on the lowest settings but will 2 up

I set mine so on rough roads they don't bottom out on the shock travel but not so stiff that it jars my back (remembering we have nasty roads, highway isn't an issue if set stiff)

std shocks was on 3 for single rider and 4/5 with load, aftermarket shocks I run now much less :)

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
^^ Well that depends on the roads you travel...... and the shocks etc.
My std shocks would bottom on both bikes if set on the lowest setting.. but then our back roads are prone to big dips and bumps, with the aftermarket shocks it bottoms less on the lowest settings but will 2 up

I set mine so on rough roads they don't bottom out on the shock travel but not so stiff that it jars my back (remembering we have nasty roads, highway isn't an issue if set stiff)

std shocks was on 3 for single rider and 4/5 with load, aftermarket shocks I run now much less :)
Ok, with the stock 36,000+ mile shocks on '1' (the LOWEST setting) and 2 up weighing about 475-500*, they never bottomed out. I rode on 5 myself for year thinking a stiffer suspension would give me a better ride like a car, but no it didnt. I lowered it to 3 about 2 years ago and liked the difference and then to 1 this year and loved it even more. You could actually feel it working.

*Then i took my ex with me and it felt really cushy and responsive.

I ride on my Fury at the lowest setting and only bounced the frame once on a stiff curb. But only cause it sits a LOT lower than the Spirit did and i wasnt ready for it.

·
Premium Member
548 Posts
What bike,,year and model helps.
Like ^^^^^ he said....

The '08 Aero has a load rating of approx 400lbs (don't remember it's exact rating) and when I took a trip to Nashville last summer my shocks were set at 2 (where they were when I purchased the bike). After loading up the bike for the trip it bottomed out frequently. Ratcheted the shock up to 4 and problem solved. After the trip, left it at 3 and I'm happy with that setting.

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
Um, yes. Zanshin is right in describing the effects of preload on the spring. Also 500 pounds is probably over the weight limit of the bike. I am Not sure what shocks and springs you are used to but me experience agrees with Zanzhin.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Depending on a couple variables, like how long it has been since the shock was adjusted, how much muscle you have and whether you have the extension sleeve to slip on the handle of the shock tool. When I adjusted my shock (2002 model) not only did I have to use the flat extension sleeve but a hammer to get the shock setting to change. The pic on the ebay ad is somewhat misleading in that one does not have to remove the shock from the cycle to adjust the tension.
This seems incredible to me, but when my riding buddy and I tried to adjust the shocks on my bike this summer, neither of us could get the spanner to budge them. His girlfriend suggested one of us sit on the bike to right it and take it off the sidestand while the other adjusts the shock. The shocks then clicked into desired settings with very little effort. Simply taking the pressure off the shocks takes the hard muscling out of the equation at least in my experience.

·
Registered
5,282 Posts
There's a handle for the spanner in your toolkit...at least there is in mine. White Dog mentioned it above - "extension sleeve". In addition, you can use it for leverage while on the road with a few other tools in your bag. I recall using it with an Allen wrench for the front axle pinch bolt for example.

·
Registered
220 Posts
This seems incredible to me, but when my riding buddy and I tried to adjust the shocks on my bike this summer, neither of us could get the spanner to budge them. His girlfriend suggested one of us sit on the bike to right it and take it off the sidestand while the other adjusts the shock. The shocks then clicked into desired settings with very little effort. Simply taking the pressure off the shocks takes the hard muscling out of the equation at least in my experience.
I'll have to try this. First, though, I've got to get a girlfriend. :D

·
Premium Member
2,129 Posts
I've got my stock shocks set at the #2 position and provides me with a comfortable ride riding solo with or without gear. The former owner, my Dad. experimented with different load settings while he owned it and told me the #2 spot was the best for that Shadow. I tried the #3 setting and noticed an increase feel of the road bumps and stiffness going over speed bumps. Backed them down to the #2 spot and have left them there ever since.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts