Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering how many of you will not consider 2-up riding.

I do not feel comfortable with someone on the back of a bike with me so I refuse to ride 2 - up. I feel like a jerk being this way but I consider it the safe and logical thing to do in my case. I do not like the balance and feel of the bike with a rider on the back so I avoid it.

Are there others who refuse to ride 2 - up or am I just a big jerk... :) ?

Ready for your comments.

Chris

·
Registered
327 Posts
I get bugged regularly by my SIL for one to give rides. But I'm not comfortable with it either. I ride with my son a little in the neighborhood but I've got a ways to go. BTW, my son is 6' tall but only weighs about 130 - 140, and he rides 2-up with my riding buddy so he knows how to be a pillon. Others asking for a ride are considerably heavier and not experienced as a pillon, so that scares me a bit more.

It seems one of the advanced rider classes I saw advertised specifically adresses 2-up techniques. I'd like to take that before I consider any serious 2-up riding.

Never thought I was being a jerk though, just safe.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Safety should always come first, so the way you feel is right on. Personally, I don't feel unsafe with my wife on the back. She loves to ride but is afraid to operate the bike alone, so.... sometimes it's 2 up. 8)

·
Registered
628 Posts
Yeah, you're being a big jerk.

But, you're a safe jerk. Don't do it until you're ready. Ultimately you're responsible for your own, and your passenger's safety. If you don't feel safe riding 2up, then you're probably right.

Stick to your guns, it's your ride.

Regards. -Jay

·
Registered
227 Posts
I enjoy riding two up, but your riding your ride so do it your way,
Glen

·
Registered
7,345 Posts
Never do it, I'm not willing to accept responsibility for someone else.

I don't have a wife and I'm really ok with being a jerk. 8)

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
I agree with Jay...

You are being a jerk...

But a safe one.

As he said...you shouldn't ride anyone on your bike until you feel it is time. No amount of peer pressure should change that. I would tell whoever asks that you don't feel comfortable riding someone on the back because of their safety.

Don't do it until you are ready.

But...if and when you do...make sure that you tell your passenger to sit rigid in the seat...no leaning or twisting or turning and not quick moves. even my 7 y.o. has heard this speech and understands it. There is nothing more un-nerving than setting up for a corner, feeling the weight transfer you expected, then all of a sudden the center of gravity changes because your passenger thinks you are leaning over too much and tries to sit straight (compared to the ground).

Again...if and when you do...make sure you have a backrest on the bike as it gives the passenger a good reference where they need to sit. I have told my kids to keep thier back's on the pad and don't move from it.

When I first started riding with my oldest on the bike...a few years ago...I convinced him to sit still by letting him lean one way or the other while we were on a straight road...then telling him the reaction if he done that in a curve. Yeah...he liked "controlling" the bike...but he learned that his little moves have an effect on the bike...and would usually sit still for me.

If you decide not to ever ride a passenger, consider removing the seat or at least making it EXTREMELY uncomfortable. That way...they won't ask again very soon. :twisted: :twisted:

Good luck with your decision. Just don't forget that it is your choice...not their's.

Joe

·
Registered
4,689 Posts
You have to do what is comfortable for you.

If you ever 'want to' ride two up it would be good to get practice with someone who knows how to ride the pillion properly until you get comfortable.

An experience passenger is like riding by yourself for the most part.

However an inexperience rider can be a PIA - but it only takes a few stops and words to fix a lot of the problems they unwittingly cause.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I've ridden two up with my son, 21, and had no problems as he had a bike of his own, Great passenger didn't even know he was there, but.....I didn't like it in the least. Don't know why, maybe figured he was critiquing (sp) my driving but non-the-less I didn't like it....Mike

·
Registered
294 Posts
It's better not to do it if you don't feel comfortable doing it, I personally don't mind it at all. Although I like riding solo, I rarely get the chance because My girlfriend is always along with me.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Personally I like when the wife rides with me. It provides an un-interupted place for us to talk or not and just enjoy the hum of the road and bike.
It took some time for me to get comfortable with her on the bike and to get her "trained" but we ride well now. So I'm riding two up most of the time.
Like others said, don't do it if you don't want to or feel comfortable with it. You'll just have that crashing around your brain instead of paying attention to the road and your bike.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm with you on not riding 2-up. I'm not comfortable with it. I had someone on my bike going around the neighborhood and he wiggled on the back seat and the whole bike wiggled with him. Therefore, no more riding 2-up.

On the flip side though, I do ride 2-up (I'm the passenger) on my friends CBX 1100 and we're good like that. However, I didn't become a good passenger until after I took the safety course and started riding my own bike. Before that I didn't totally understand the concept of leaning with him and no moving on the back of the bike because it throws off his balance.

Maybe if I had a fellow rider on the back of my bike, it'd be ok, but I doubt it.

·
Registered
658 Posts
A jerk is someone who will recklessly put another's life and limb at risk by succumbing to the 'impress others' factor - and ride 2up before he's ready. And who should care if you choose never to do it?

No. You are definitely NOT a jerk.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Paulie said:
Never do it, I'm not willing to accept responsibility for someone else.

I don't have a wife and I'm really ok with being a jerk. 8)
Ditto to that. The main thing that scares me is in the event of something going wrong, how many passengers are going to idly sit there and let you try and regain control? They're more than likely to work against whatever it is you would be doing to save your hides. I have a passenger seat & backrest, but I use those for carrying things, and I think they look nice. I don't believe a scoot is realistically designed for 2 people.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Christopher said:

I do not feel comfortable with someone on the back of a bike with me so I refuse to ride 2 - up. I feel like a jerk being this way but I consider it the safe and logical thing to do in my case. I do not like the balance and feel of the bike with a rider on the back so I avoid it.

Ready for your comments.

Chris
I'm new to riding and won't be picking up my ACE until the snow goes but I have no desire to ride 2-up. The back seat is coming off as soon as I get it home. Just to make sure my wife stays happy, we bought an ACE for her too!

·
Registered
8,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
WOW...........

And here I thought I was the only jerk......LOL

Thanks everyone for your input. I feel much better. When I was a teenager I had a girl on the back of my dirt bike with me. She thought she was falling off as we were heading down a back road and started reaching for anything she could. She grabbed my right arm and turned us right and we ended up in a swamp of all things. We walked away unhurt ( but completely soaked and stinking from green slime ). It was comical afterwards but I guess I never forgot that one incident and maybe thats why I never want to ride 2 - up.

Thanks again everyone for your honest input.

Chris

·
Registered
183 Posts
My ride is a me thing. Sounds like you know what I'm talking about. My wife can share the joy with me on her own bike, but as for two up:

This is MY bike. The are many like it, but this one is mine.
(*******ized from the rifleman's creed)

·
Registered
526 Posts
Christopher said:

Ready for your comments.

Chris
Did you buy the bike so that you could be a carnival ride?

I got mine knowing that the kids would be coming along with me and I have hauled the wife. The good news is the son (8 ) is like a extension, the older daughter (10) tries to hard but I think the sissy bar that should be here soon will help that, the little one (6) Is ok. Best thing is the wife hates to ride on the back, she has her own bike.

I prefer alone, but it is a blast taking the son someplace on the bike to.

·
Registered
11,115 Posts
A real jerk would ignore their feelings and try to "fit in". You're being wise in listening to yourself.

I take my daughter on short little rides on some of our back roads and we have a blast. Took my wife around the block once and did not like the way the bike felt and she did not feel safe.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts