Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Rookie rider here. I am looking for some brake shoes for my 00 ACE 750. Was wondering if you can share your input regarding the two "fits" I found:

1- https://fortnine.ca/en/sbs-brake-shoes-2046
2- For some reason the vehicle tool on the site says this fits my bike but description says ATV shoes: https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/kimpex-atv-carbon-brake-shoes-rear-1270051p.1270064.html

If you had to pick one for a rookie weekend ride, which one would it be and why?
There are some grooved shoes. I assume grooved shoes are mostly for dirt bikes?

Thank you.

·
Registered
18,248 Posts
What with 172,000 miles on my Baby ain`t Needed Shoes...
Pads? YES!!! Several times :)
Are yours beyond recommended usable thickness???

Lets RIDE,
Dennis

Gotta STOP sometimes, so Be SURE to have GOOD Brakes

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
What with 172,000 miles on my Baby ain`t Needed Shoes...
Pads? YES!!! Several times :)
Are yours beyond recommended usable thickness???

Lets RIDE,
Dennis

Gotta STOP sometimes, so Be SURE to have GOOD Brakes
Thanks for the reply. I was told mine is at the border. Maybe I need to get a second opinion on it :)

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,276 Posts
My experience, while not of as long duration, with my '99 has been the same as "Captain D", replacing front pads, but never the rear shoes.
As a Canadian myself I'd go with Fortnine, which has never failed me, over Canadian Tire, I'd never buy anything for my bikes from them other than gas and think twice about anything for my cars other than gas.
Also check out the local Honda bike dealer to see what they would charge for a set, give 'em a call, OEM shoes do seem to normally last forever. (-;
Aftermarket I would pick EBC shoes if I ever have to get some, but that's a personal choice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My experience, while not of as long duration, with my '99 has been the same as "Captain D", replacing front pads, but never the rear shoes.
As a Canadian myself I'd go with Fortnine, which has never failed me, over Canadian Tire, I'd never buy anything for my bikes from them other than gas and think twice about anything for my cars other than gas.
Also check out the local Honda bike dealer to see what they would charge for a set, give 'em a call, OEM shoes do seem to normally last forever. (-;
Aftermarket I would pick EBC shoes if I ever have to get some, but that's a personal choice.
Perfect! Thank you. Will def check out the dealership.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,888 Posts
Check in the manual for the brake shoe wear indicator description.
Looks like this=

Attachments

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
76 Posts
Related question: Has anyone ever worn out the drum? Seems like that would mean a rear wheel replacement, which could prove difficult.

I guess with that kind of mileage if Captain D hasn't done it, probably no one has.

Reactions: "Captain D"

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
743 Posts
You may wear out the rear brake drum if you use the cornering method a friend of mine uses...

He told me that he rides the rear brake while giving his bike throttle on curves. Says it helps him get around the curve better. When he told me that I didn't say anything -- hopefully I didn't roll my eyes -- but it seemed to me that all he was doing was wearing down his rear brake!

I've also had guys tell me that they never use their front brake...only the rear.

So, it could be possible to wear down your rear brake drum with improper riding techniques.

·
Registered
03 750 ACE / Michigan
76 Posts
...He told me that he rides the rear brake while giving his bike throttle on curves. Says it helps him get around the curve better. When he told me that I didn't say anything -- hopefully I didn't roll my eyes -- but it seemed to me that all he was doing was wearing down his rear brake!...
Sounds like a misguided attempt at trail braking, which can be useful if done properly. But not that many people do it properly.

I've also had guys tell me that they never use their front brake...only the rear.

So, it could be possible to wear down your rear brake drum with improper riding techniques.
Yeah I've heard that many times as well. I just make sure to never be in front of riders like that if at all possible. I was in a group ride once, riding in the middle of a decently well organized pack. The group came to a stop, but one joker came shooting up the middle from well behind me, skidding the rear wheel the whole way. Lucky he didn't sideswipe anyone. That's part of why I don't participate in large group rides anymore.

·
Registered
2006 750 spirit
4 Posts
I just replaced the front and rear brakes on my 2006 750 Spirit. (The rear shoes were still usable but I went a head and replaced them) Consider changing the brake fluid as well. I put new wheel bearings in while I had it a part. The "groved" shoes are designed that way for cooling and to help shed water. I buy most my parts from Revzilla or J p cycle. Both very reputable. Make an account and enter your bike model and they will check fitment when ordering. This is done prior to placing the order so you can use the feature to help sort out various designs as to fitment. Make sure you note the "shim" on the front pads. It will normally be stuck to the old pad. Carefully remove it and place it behind the new pad. If you consider new wheel bearings they can be a little tricky to remove. I had to make a special tool as there is a tube spacer between the bearings which prohibit you from knocking them out from the opposing side. A Small hand held torch may be needed to expand the wheel.
Good luck and be safe

·
Registered
18,248 Posts
Whilst doing "Slow Ride" contests I STAY onethe rear brake :D
It works for SLOW Turning around in the road too...

I did swap shoes once, => I had gotten some from a member here that had more "Meat" than mine, but mine were NOT beyond use...

I watch Riding instructional videos frequently,
Dennis

1 - 15 of 15 Posts