Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would move this thread here to get it off of the intro page. For a quick recap I have a charging problem. I replaced the battery, stator and rectifier a couple of weeks ago. I rode a few times not all that much and then last Monday it left me sitting with a dead battery. Today I removed the ground wire and scuffed it up with sand paper to make sure the ground was good and still no dice, reading 12.5-13 volts off the battery rather its off at idle or 5000 rpm. I checked for continuity at the connection for the stator and rectifier and had nothing on the stator side but good continuity on the rectifier side. This means I either got a bad stator or I have burned one up in just a few hundred miles. Should I be concerned about replacing the stator again? Is there anything that would make the stator burn out that quickly? Or should I just write it off as I got a bad stator replace it and move on? My fear is that I am going to replace the stator again and still have the same problem and I am just about out of dollars to solve this situation... Any feedback will be appreciated...

·
Registered
4,827 Posts
It's possible the stator got a pinched wire when installed (common mistake) and they will crap out fast if that's the case.
The stock regulators are junk, so you may want to consider looking into a Mosfet type regulator, which will send alot more power tot he battery compared to the over-heating, poor quality stock piece of crap that came with the bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Both the regulator/rectifier and the stator were from Ricks power sports. Unfortunately the shop where I had them installed the owner got shipped out to Afghanistan a week after so the shop is shut down now I am kinda stuck eating it. I saw the old stator it was burnt to ****, and as I said I had continuity on the rectifier side...

It's possible the stator got a pinched wire when installed (common mistake) and they will crap out fast if that's the case.
The stock regulators are junk, so you may want to consider looking into a Mosfet type regulator, which will send alot more power tot he battery compared to the over-heating, poor quality stock piece of crap that came with the bike.

·
Registered
12,291 Posts
+1 - complete kit can be found here:

Roadstercycle-Index

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Getting my bike back today. I am kinda pissed off though the shop quoted me approx 2 hrs labor and is charging me for 4 1/2 for a simple stator job. I will argue that point when I pick up the bike.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
+1 - complete kit can be found here:

Roadstercycle-Index
+2, its the only known correct way to ultimately FINALLY fix charging system. Don't even think of running acc. w/o doing this kit, period, promise, "been there done that".

I got my kit from Missouri.

And, Welcome to the board from less than 2 hrs south of ya.....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.