Honda Shadow Forums banner

2000 VT1100T Shadow ACE Tourer Restoration

12K views 91 replies 28 participants last post by  twerth 
#1 ·
I recently bought a Shadow for a winter project. It's in non-running condition and in need of a lot of cosmetic work, but the price was right and I need something to keep me out of the wife's hair. My plan is to get it running, clean off the flat black rattle can paint job and give it new paint. Here are a few "before" pictures. I'll post updates as I make progress. Wish me luck. I'll need it.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Good luck with the project. I would wonder why anyone would ruin a beautiful bike by doing that too it? What was the original color? and what color do you see it as being when you complete the build?

#4 ·
Good luck with the project. I would wonder why anyone would ruin a beautiful bike by doing that too it? What was the original color? and what color do you see it as being when you complete the build?
It was black before. I'm partial to black and grey, but I've done that a few times in the past. Still working out color and scheme. Here's a shot of my old Road Star Warrior I painted Eleanor style (Gone in 60 Seconds). I really liked it, but the style isn't right for the ACE.

Attachments

#10 ·
Yowza! At least the OP removed/taped off the lights before going crazy. When I saw it first I thought it had been in a fire.
That's what I thought!!! .. That some dude.. Mightabeenme.. Lit the git up with a flamethrower for riding on-by while flashing the insulting decals on the sissy bar insert. :mrgreen:

Actually.. ... It..Kinda looks like Sparrow's work.. Miss ya Sparrow! :)

#7 · (Edited)
It looks like the PO rattle canned everything except the lights and the seat. Wow, there's a bit of work there to get it even close to factory. Personally I like the sissy seat back emblem...it makes a statement. Just don't ride in front of any 1%ers. LOL. Good winter project though. Good luck!

#8 ·
Actually, the seat is painted. At least the edges. The lights also have paint on them. I think the PO wiped the lenses off with thinner afterwards. It's a real mess.

I've been using lacquer thinner, acetone and gasoline to remove it, but it's slow going. Chrome and glass is easy since I can use a brass brush and steel wool, but I don't want to damage the powder coating on the frame. If anyone has any suggestions, I'd appreciate it.

#12 ·
I got it running yesterday, but poorly. I haven't synced the carbs yet, so hopefully that will help. I think it's got problems beyond that though. Maybe fuel delivery issues. We'll see.

Also, the clutch doesn't disengage completely. The cable adjuster at the lever is screwed up, so adjustment may be the issue. That'll need a little more tinkering as well.

Today is the only day all week with a decent forecast, so I'd like to get it on the road for a shakedown. Fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks for the link adlowe. I have an airbrush, but not the talent to use it. I have to admit though that I like the burgundy and black. I may end up doing something similar to mine. I did a purple and black Virago last summer that turned out pretty well (see below), but I don't have enough purple left over. I like the burgundy better anyway.

BTW, I was able to spend a couple of hours with mine today. I got the carbs adjusted and synced, and it seems to run pretty well. I still haven't tested it out on the road, but sitting in the garage it idles smoothly and RPMs snap up when I hit the throttle. The clutch issue seems to have healed itself too. Maybe had some sticky plates from sitting for an extended period. At any rate, I was able to burn a nice black mark in my garage floor, so I'm happy with the progress I've made this weekend.

Now that I know it runs and shifts, I'm comfortable with buying the rest of the parts I'll need (tires, seat covers, who knows what else). I took a couple of pictures today, but haven't uploaded yet. I'll post those in the morning. Thanks to everyone of comments and input.

Attachments

#15 ·
I have an airbrush, but not the talent to use it. I have to admit though that I like the burgundy and black.
I LOVE the burgundy and black. Didn't at first. Or second. It was my third choice. But over time...

Dawn has told me that airbrushing doesn't require much skill; it's the masking that's critical. Says she spends more time making the masks (prints then cuts them out herself) than she does painting. Results are obviously worth it. I've wanted to take it up for more than a few years but first need to convince the wife that I could manage to take on something else. Not to mention allocate space without disrupting other things.

#17 ·
The weather has been nice (that's over now) so I was able to take the project for a short ride on Christmas day. It's a little cold blooded, but once it's warmed up it really runs well. I'm impressed with the grunt this bike has. Can't wait to get it out on the highway. Below are a couple of shots I took when I got back.

Since everything seems to work like it should, I feel ok about continuing with deconstruction. Over the last couple of days I've removed and cleaned the front wheel and forks. A new front tire is on and balanced, and I'll be replacing fork seals today. More photos to come once I get it back together. Then on to the engine and rear end.

Attachments

#19 ·
Yeh bubbanez, I post pretty much the same thing on both forums. Both are great references, but this one gets more traffic so I prefer it. HSATF has more tourer specific information though.

I got the front end back together yesterday, and it looks good. The pictures don't show it, but I also removed the exhaust and have the engine cleaned up. I'll repaint the jugs today and hopefully get the paint stripped off the pipes.

Attachments

#20 ·
Glad you got it running good, gonna be a nice bike when you get it done.
Just out of curiosity are you logging your time and expended on it? I ask because I like doing projects I can make some money on an just want to see if its worth it for resale. Of course for keeping it is another story, can always spend a little more as long as it doesn't go over the value of the finished product too much, as a hobby, fun type thing.

#24 ·
Just out of curiosity are you logging your time and expended on it? I ask because I like doing projects I can make some money on an just want to see if its worth it for resale. Of course for keeping it is another story, can always spend a little more as long as it doesn't go over the value of the finished product too much, as a hobby, fun type thing.
I don't keep track of the time I spend, but I do track the cost for parts and materials. I can almost always make a fair profit. A couple of times I've run into fatal problems, and I've still been able to part the bikes out and make a couple of bucks.

I do it because I like the work, but if it was a losing proposition my wife wouldn't go for it. Sadly, I could never make a living at it.

#26 ·
I've been off work for Christmas and have had lots of time to spend on my ACE. Here are a couple of shots from yesterday. Pretty much the entire frame, suspension and engine have been cleaned, and I've installed new tires front and rear. ZipStripping the exhaust today. The paint that was on the hot part of the pipes (i.e. not the shields) is tough stuff!!

Attachments

#28 ·
I kinda like the rattle-can look, and the color of that John Deere in the background. As soon as I sign off here I'm going out and buying some cans of that JD green and painting my bike, what da ya think?

Don't do it!! Spray paint's a lot easier to put on than to take off. Trust me on that one.

#30 ·
WOW, fine job recouping a fine ride so far! The original owner was umm...twisted evidently! Flat black when done properly is fine, but, ummmm, he didnt do it right!
Good luck! Glad you are posting plenty of pics!

#31 ·
I was able to ride it about 20 miles yesterday. Runs great once it's warmed up, but it's really cold blooded. I can't give it any gas until it's warm enough to turn the choke down about half way. The exhaust has been cored, but as far as I know, the jets are stock. I'm thinking a larger pilot jet. What d'ya think?

Anyway, here's how it looks now. Aside from a few tweeks, it's ready for paint. Problem is, my shop isn't heated and it's too cold in there to spray. Might be a while.

Attachments

#33 · (Edited)
^^^^+1. The cold blooded thing ... mine is the same and it's normal. You need to give them a couple of minutes to warm up, although after a minute or so I 'can' give it gas on full choke. I usually run full choke to the end of my road then turn it off. Let it warm up while putting your helmet or gloves on ...

#37 · (Edited)
I pulled the carbs back off last night to see if I could improve the cold blooded issue. I used a micro drill bit to open the pilot jets up to the next larger bit size (very minor enlargement over stock). I also double checked the float level and decided to raise the fuel level about 1 mm. I think I was a hair low before, and now I'm probably just a touch high.

There is a notable improvement, but it's still not as clean as my other carbureted v-twins have been. Way too cold to take out for a ride, so I'll leave it like this for now.

I got the luggage reassembled and installed. Everything else has been cleaned and reinstalled as well. The only thing left is paint. I'm shipping my seats off tomorrow to have them recovered, so this bike will be out of commission for a couple of weeks. Hopefully the weather will let up a little by the time I get them back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.