Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all. I recently purchased a 2000 VT750 ACE and found out after it had a bad regulator. I had made a thread on that here:

Electrical Woes - VT750 ACE

It turns out a poor connector was to blame and this is a known problem from what I have read. After doing some research and reading on the Electrical Upgrade threads posted here, I had decided on going with a Series type MOSFET regulator (SH775). I purchased the pre-wired kit from Roadstercycle.com to make install easier. The Kit was shipped pretty quickly to me and it came complete with everything needed for a fast and easy install / upgrade.

Below I will show the install process on my 2000 VT750 ACE via pictures.

The Super Series Kit SH775

This regulator is much bigger than the stock SH633-12 and did not fit in the stock mounting position.

Nice sized wiring

Beefy looking connectors

The factory RR location

The factory RR mounting plate

The SH775 was taller than the factory RR, so it was hitting the frame. A lowered mounting position to clear the frame was decided on. Time to make the brackets to secure it in place.

A slight angle to make things fit

Just showing off my drill press! lol

Test Fit

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bike, Bunnies and Bed!

:mrgreen:

Stator wires

Wiring with heat shrink wrap

Final location

Voltage checks. This is with the headlight off

Voltage with the headlights on

I am late for work, so I am rushing this thread.. will comment further later..

·
Registered
354 Posts
Years ago on all the four cylinder Goldwings, Honda had a big problem with the three pin connector between the alternator and regulator. The push-on connectors inside the molex would become loose, dirty and overloaded. The problem escalated by the presence of the resulting corrosion and it got worse until it eventually burned up the alternator stator. A new stator was the only fix but if it was caught soon enough simply removing the connector, soldering and insulating the wire joints would avoid the problem. I had two of these affected bikes. A 79 1000 and an 84 1200. Each required a new stator. It'll be a long time before I depend on a Molex-type connector for a high current connection again.

·
Registered
9,266 Posts
Years ago on all the four cylinder Goldwings, Honda had a big problem with the three pin connector between the alternator and regulator. The push-on connectors inside the molex would become loose, dirty and overloaded. The problem escalated by the presence of the resulting corrosion and it got worse until it eventually burned up the alternator stator. A new stator was the only fix but if it was caught soon enough simply removing the connector, soldering and insulating the wire joints would avoid the problem. I had two of these affected bikes. A 79 1000 and an 84 1200. Each required a new stator. It'll be a long time before I depend on a Molex-type connector for a high current connection again.
Yes, it's pretty much the same problem on all the Shadows as well. They never fixed the problem. My 02 ACE burned up the connectors and I found it and cut it out before any damage was done to the stator.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went with the 30A circuit breaker.

Lucky for me, the badly corroded stator connector only damaged the RR and not the stator. I tested the stator and it red good at different RPMs.

Soldered connections and direct leads to the battery should give me good reliability. I was surprised at how high the idle voltage was, I was expecting less at idle and around 14.x when revved up. 14.3 at idle is great IMO!

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Am I the only one who saw wascawy wabbits? Maybe they chewed on the connectors.

Dingo.

·
Registered
354 Posts
That's a surprise! It's been near forty years and Honda is STILL using a connector which has proven thousands of failures. That's not very Japanese.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Regulator Mount

If that is aluminum plate that you used for the mounting plate you better go back and coat where it contacts steel with dielectric grease to prevent a bad ground due to corrosion between the aluminum and steel. Dissimilar metals will trade electrons causing heat (very miniscule) and oxidation as a result.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Galvanic corrosion IIRC, thanks for the tip. It was aluminum I had used..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts