Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike wont stay running unless I keep the choke pulled out. I rarely ride this thing but have vowed to ride more. If I can get it to run rite. It has 3000 miles on it. I do start it some times and I put stabilizer/cleaner in the gas, but think I might need to take it apart and give a good cleaning. If I can find out how. A coworker of mine said that while I store it in the garage I should drain the bowl in the winter. I am not sure what to do. I would love to find a biker buddy friend to teach me how to work on this thing in my area. Ideas of what to do would be appreciated.

·
Registered
7 Posts
The first step would be to download the VLX service manual. There are several posts indicating the web site where the service manuals can be downloaded free of charge for the VLX and other models. If it has been a while since the fuel filter in the tank has been changed you may want to change it. Also look inside the tank and see if there is any sign of rust within the tank. Seafoam additive to the fuel sometimes will help cleanup minor varnish and deposits that may hinder your performance. This site has numerous helpful suggestions that you probably have found useful.

Good luck and safe riding.

ChyWyShadow

·
Registered
352 Posts
Sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning it is really easy to do I did mine in about an hour and a half. Also I would completely drain the tank and put some fresh gas in it.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Well, if it's a 2001 and only has 3000 mi. then it must have been sitting somewhere for quite a while. If it had gasoline in the fuel system all of that time then the gasoline has turned into gunk. When a bike is stored for more than six months you really need to either get all of the gasoline out of the carb or stabilize the gasoline because gasoline starts to break down pretty quickly after you pump it into your tank. I would start with draining and flushing the fuel tank, the fuel lines (they may need to be replaced), replacing the filter (if there is one, some do and some don't) and the carb is almost certainly going to need to be torn down and rebuilt. I would also drain the oil out and change it and once you get it running get the engine up to operating temp and then drain and change it again because the old oil will have some nasty corrosives in it, you want to flush that junk out of the engine. If you're going to work on it yourself you will want to get a manual. The Honda factory manual is the best.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
2001 Shadow 600 doesn't have a fuel filter. I has a "fuel screen" located inside the gas tank on the petcock spout. The fuel filter thing has been a source of confusion for different year Shadow 600's.

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Have you tried to increase the idle rpm's?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem on my 2004 vlx with 1400 miles on it.
I drained the gas and made sure i had free flow of new, fresh gas coming out of the petcock. That did not solve my problem but it a "must" starting point. Checked plugs also.

What did solve my problem was this..........
Remove air cleaner, start bike with choke on, lift carb piston up, spray carb cleaner into carb throat and down the piston needle hole as best you can. Once I got it to rev a bit (still rough), a combination of more carb cleaner and covering the intake air off from the carb with my hand in short burst, did the trick. It broke loose whatever was in the carb that was causing the problem.

I did this just yesterday and she's back to normal. You may what to add an once or two of seafoam to you new tank of gas if you get yours running smoothly....never hurts!

Hope this helps you out!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just went thru the same thing with a 95 VT600 CD. It will run with the choke pulled out because you are opening the starting enrichment ports. but if you turn the throttle it cuts out. Your slow jets are clogged. In my case so was one of the main jets. I tried flushing it with gumout but didn't work. I finally had to pull the carb and clean the jets with paint thinner and blow them out with compressed air. reasembled and its running great.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts