Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2001 shadow 600 vlx with 30k miles. Until recently, never had a problem. it died on the highway at the end of a weekend road trip last fall. i trailered it home. I tinkered with it, it started back up and I hoped for the best. I didn't start it again until 30 days ago. It started up no problem. I drove it about a mile away (40 mph) and it died. I pushed it home. when I got home, it started again. today, it did the same thing twice. I get about a mile from home and it dies. I push it home, wait 20 minute and starts right back up.

after doing some research, it seems likely that the gas tank isn't venting. The motor dies of fuel starvation because a partial vacuum forms in the gas tank. After the engine dies, the gas tank slowly loses the vacuum and starts again. Does this make sense? Am I on the right track?

If so, what's preventing the gas tank from venting properly? Is the tank ventted through the gas cap? if so, how do I clear out the clog? Is the tank vented some other way? if so, how? How do I clear the clog?

Thank you for taking the time to read and consider my bike dilemma!

JD john.david.deatherage "at" gmail "dot" com

·
Registered
719 Posts
Do you have a tank bag on it?
Years ago I had a Kawasaki, rode it every chance I could, work, shopping, trips, got tired of using a backpack so I bought a tank bag, it was fine then after a while it would sputter and die long story short, the rubber pad would seal the gas cap vent.
Most bike tanks vent through the cap, maybe enough gunk has gotten in there and is not letting it breath.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,585 Posts
The 2001 has a tank vent tube IIRC off the right rear of the tank at the bottom, make sure the vent hose is clear.
I would think it more likely the vacuum petcock may not be working reliably, either the petcock itself or the vacuum hose may be leaking vacuum and not opening the valve.

Go here and get the Service Manual it may help with the diagnosis, it covers a lot of years and also covers some of the earlier dual carb bikes, however 1999 and later are single carbs with a vacuum petcock. Feel free to come on back here and let us know how your are making out or if you have more questions. we are here to help. (-:

EDIT: forgot the link: Manuals

·
Registered
11,414 Posts
After all that time sitting it wouldn't be the gas tank vent. The easiest way to determine if it is a venting problem is to pop the gas cap off when it stops running(usually happens soon after you start riding) and if you get a woosh when you pop the cap it means the vent is blocked.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a tank bag on it?
Years ago I had a Kawasaki, rode it every chance I could, work, shopping, trips, got tired of using a backpack so I bought a tank bag, it was fine then after a while it would sputter and die long story short, the rubber pad would seal the gas cap vent.
Most bike tanks vent through the cap, maybe enough gunk has gotten in there and is not letting it breath.
thanks for responding: no tank bag... assuming the gas cap vent is clogged, how should I clean it? Where is the vent on the gas cap?

·
Registered
125 Posts
thanks for responding: no tank bag... assuming the gas cap vent is clogged, how should I clean it? Where is the vent on the gas cap?
as mentioned previously in this thread the vent is back bottom right. looking at the side with the gas cap at the back bottom edge of your tank should be a small hose hanging there. if you run your hand under there you should be able to feel it with the tank in place. it just a small nipple with a hose that runs down back behind the engine between the frame and should hang just below the frame.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 2001 has a tank vent tube IIRC off the right rear of the tank at the bottom, make sure the vent hose is clear.
I would think it more likely the vacuum petcock may not be working reliably, either the petcock itself or the vacuum hose may be leaking vacuum and not opening the valve.

Go here and get the Service Manual it may help with the diagnosis, it covers a lot of years and also covers some of the earlier dual carb bikes, however 1999 and later are single carbs with a vacuum petcock. Feel free to come on back here and let us know how your are making out or if you have more questions. we are here to help. (-:

EDIT: forgot the link: Manuals
Thank you for the advice!

·
Registered
2002 Shadow VLX
123 Posts
For the VLX 600 only California models have vented tanks. Other area models have vented caps. I have a VLX and no, the tank doesn't have any vent/or tubes other than the fuel line. Either your cap's vent is blocked/plugged or as CSRoad suggested, something with your AFV (auto petcock) isn't working properly.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
3,585 Posts
For the VLX 600 only California models have vented tanks. Other area models have vented caps. I have a VLX and no, the tank doesn't have any vent/or tubes other than the fuel line. Either your cap's vent is blocked/plugged or as CSRoad suggested, something with your AFV (auto petcock) isn't working properly.
Thanks @dskum it is good to learn something everyday, I was under the impression all of the '99 & later ones has a tank vent tube.
You and the Service Manual both tell me I was wrong. (-:

·
Registered
2002 Shadow VLX
123 Posts
Thanks @dskum it is good to learn something everyday, I was under the impression all of the '99 & later ones has a tank vent tube.
You and the Service Manual both tell me I was wrong. (-:
Humbly, no difference from my side. Thanks for all your help to members here, including myself!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts