Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm stuck trying to figure out what's wrong. I have a scrubbing sound. It sounds like it would be the back brake hub. It doesn't look worn. The shoes are new. I have loosened the chain and it stops. But once I adjust the chain to its proper position the scrubbing comes back. Its louder sometimes. About every sec or sec and a half. The back bearings seem OK. I'm stuck.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,276 Posts
Just shots in the dark, but are you over torquing the rear axle?
That would be 69 ft lbs, not picking up the back of the bike with a breaker bar and exclaiming "Yep that's tight enough." (-;
The other thought is messed up rubbers in the cushdrive.

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,276 Posts
That's good news.

Ok now I'm thinking a tight link in the chain, but that usually creates a cyclical vibration.
You can check it out by slacking the chain and flexing each link pair one by one with rubber gloves on.

Beyond that I'm drawn back to the three rear sealed ball bearings, two in the hub and one in the sprocket carrier.

·
Registered
18,248 Posts
To diagnose this issue, I would Lift the rear wheel off anything it`s sitting on & spin the tire, watch & listen for the scrubbing....

I have a drive on lift that makes projects like this easy...

I drive onto the lift, lock it down, then place a screw jack under the swingarm, in front of the tire, to lift the rear wheel off the "operating table" and spin the wheel whilst looking, listening & oiling the chain...
I Loosen the chain tension all the way, to check them links...

Unless it only does this scrubbing whilst sitting on the bike, you`ll find the Gremlin...

Lets RIDE JAN 1,
Dennis
Merry Christmas Y`all

Good Luck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm stuck trying to figure out what's wrong. I have a scrubbing sound. It sounds like it would be the back brake hub. It doesn't look worn. The shoes are new. I have loosened the chain and it stops. But once I adjust the chain to its proper position the scrubbing comes back. Its louder sometimes. About every sec or sec and a half. The back bearings seem OK. I'm stuck.
So the issue was resolved by me adjusting the brake bolt in until it squeaked. Then backing it of maybe two turns so it was dragging. Withing approx 30 ish mile not exact. The whole scrubbing stopped completely. Oddly enough. It as sounding like it could be bearings or transmission. But no. Just stubborn brake shoes on the rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts