Honda Shadow Forums banner

2001 VLX600 Issues

4K views 48 replies 10 participants last post by  01RustyShadow 
#1 ·
I bought this 01 vlx a few weeks ago and I have spent a good number of long nights learning how to take it apart, got the carb and fuel tank cleaned, rebuilt etc at the local Honda. Before the service the issue was what seemed like rich idle or clogged fuel, as rusty sludge was everywhere from the tank to the carb. Now... I have put it all back where it belongs except the seat, turned it over in bursts of 5 seconds until the BRAND NEW DURALAST GOLD battery died... Any idea what would have changed from the old crap idle, throttle response etc, to not starting at all after a proper cleaning? Maybe because I used the old petcock? I don’t have thousands to spend replacing every little piece so any help in the right direction is appreciated as I am happy to replace anything that NEEDS to be replaced but I can’t spend 18 hours every Saturday trying to figure it out... felt I didn’t make this clear enough... turned over fine 10 plus times, seems like I’m missing spark or fuel.....

#49 ·
I have undying gratitude for this website and its users, I would like to let you all know she ran for about 20 minutes today, starts her first try every time now.
The shop gave it back to me with the float bowl hose attached to the port for the line to radiator and I think the radiator hose was hooked up to float draining port, not sure, but ultimately I disconnected them and once the COOLANT came out of my carb, my friend who I paid 50$ made sure my idle screw, choke were perfect and now she revs to all hell sounding real purdy.
It did die at idle after about 20 minutes, but that was without air filter on so I'm hoping that's the only issue, hopefully after a tank of gas ran through her she'll be alright. When I got her she basically had gas that looked like apple sauce and motor oil and plugs that look like they are black as the darkside of the moon, now the throttle is responding quite nicely, my friend ultimately figured it out, but it wouldn't be in that position if I wasn't guided by all you guys on this site to test each possible answer until there was no choice left, but to know the carb was ****ed up, maybe a video of her running when I can, THANK YOU!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.