Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit - Dunnellon, Fl
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help answer a question about pilot jets? I bought a 2001 VT750DC a year ago. The only mod I have found is the exhaust, which appears to be similar to the Cobra 2 in. Slash Cut Drag Pipe Exhaust System. Can't find a name on the pipes to know for sure. The bike ran ok but seemed to be a bit sluggish. This past Oct it began having starting issues. Did some troubleshooting and decided to rebuild the carbs. They were nasty and had crud in both bowls along with a stuck float in front cyl carb. While cleaning them I found that the main jets are 105 and 108 per specs but the front cyl carb has a #48 pilot jet and the rear has a #40S pilot jet (might be wrong about which one was in which (beer)). Everywhere I have researched references using the same size pilot jet for both carbs. Anyone know why someone would have used 2 different size pilot jets?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,676 Posts
That 40S size is strange. Does it look like they were opened before? Maybe an aftermarket jet as many different companies sell jets with different size markings.The factory Keihin jets have a K which looks like a star pattern.
One manual I have shows this. See if those are your carb numbers

Attachments

·
Registered
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
4,779 Posts
My first guess would be a box of mixed jets and bad eyesight.
My second guess would be to cover up the symptom of a lean situation with the one cylinder, probably actually caused by an insulator/boot leak.
Other than that I'm at a loss.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
That 40S size is strange. Does it look like they were opened before? Maybe an aftermarket jet as many different companies sell jets with different size markings.The factory Keihin jets have a K which looks like a star pattern.
Any aftermarket pilot jets I've come across maintain the Keihin sizing and the 2, 3 stepping, so...38, 40, 42, 45, 48, 50......
Now aftermarket main jets are a bit more of a mess, I'm specifically thinking of Dynojet, but there are others and then you get, jets that keep the Keihin sizing but use the 2.5, 5 numbering stepping and they can really mess up a tray of almost identical looking Mikuni jets that follow that stepping progression, but have their own sizing related to it.
Oh yeah almost forget those pesky Solex mains. (-;

·
Registered
2001 Shadow Spirit - Dunnellon, Fl
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Swifty: Someone had definitely opened them before. I even found what looked like gasket material (from a tube) coating the bowl edges and seals. The carb is the VDF2D model. The pic shows what was in there.

My first guess would be a box of mixed jets and bad eyesight.
My second guess would be to cover up the symptom of a lean situation with the one cylinder, probably actually caused by an insulator/boot leak.
CSRoad: The more I think about it you may be right about someone trying to cover up another issue. Looks like someone tried a couple of cheap fixes without spending any real money.

I think I will order a standard rebuild kit with a pair of 40 slow jets and go from there. Then I can order a separate pair of 42 slow jets if needed because of the aftermarket exhast. I will definitelty check the boots and air connections for leaks. It just threw me off finding 2 different size pilot jets when all research mentions using the same size in both carbs.

Thanks for the feedback! ?

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
19,676 Posts
Those are Keihin jets at least, but I never heard of the 40 with an S designation. Maybe an off road racing type fine tuning increment ???
I would recommend putting in the 42 jets. That way you add a little bit of extra enrichment with the exhaust and you won't have to turn the idle mixture screws out so far.
I had #40 jets in my old 1983 bike with aftermarket pipes and I had the screws out to about 3 1/2 turns. So I got creative and drilled them out with the smallest drill I had and they went from about .016' to .020". I only have the screws out about 1/2 turn now, but I lost 10 MPG. I didn't expect that. So I need to go in and put in #42 pilots. Just a little increase in bore size can really effect flow rate I found out !
This video was an education.

Reactions: Troy Jollimore

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread and you've probably figured the situation out by now, but two different-sized main jets are factory spec for the dual carb shadows. Honda did this as a matter of handling emission requirements and temperature differences between the front and rear cylinders while running.

·
Registered
4,779 Posts
That may well be, but if you say to hell with emissions and you tune for performance IME you still end up with some main jet stagger with the twin carb VT750 ACE and Spirit.
I've seen it blamed on the head temperatures or the exhaust port differences, all I know is if you tune properly on each cylinder, you are still stuck with it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is an old thread and you've probably figured the situation out by now, but two different-sized main jets are factory spec for the dual carb shadows. Honda did this as a matter of handling emission requirements and temperature differences between the front and rear cylinders while running.
He knows this. Was talking about 2 different sized PILOT jets.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts