Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After going several different routes and still not being happy I ended up going with this custom intake. Unfortunately the selection out there was extremely pricey or just not my taste. This ended up costing me less then 50 bucks. Wanted to post a how to in case anyone likes the look. FYI : bike will most certainly need a rejet after doing this.

Step1. Expose triangular shaped air box elbow. This is attached to the oem air box with some soft break away silicone. Remove the elbow from the bike and trim away 2nd pleat of rubber to allow clearance for the custom plate that will be fabricated. See below.

Step 2: You will need to fabricate 2 plates shown below. One piece in 1/4" steel that will fit over rubber elbow and attach to mounting bracket located directly under rubber elbow. The second piece can be done with 1/8" steel that will sandwich together with the first plate fabricated. This will allow a air tight seal. The third item I picked up at pep boys. It's a 3" mounting plate manufactured for air intake systems. Cost 8 bucks. See below.

Step 3. Ensure all will fit properly together with nuts and bolts prior to next step

Step 4: If you want painted this is the time. Once paint was dry I used permatex gasket maker in between all the plates to ensure a tight seal. Stuff works excellent cures like rubber.

Step 5: Reattach custom intake to oem air box with stock clamp. You will also need to use a additional nut and bolt to mount to bracket located directly below the custom intake. I used a spacer here to have the intake sit plumb.

Step 6: Attach what ever 3" filter you like. I went with this one purchased for less then 30 bucks.

Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
I did that years ago on my Spirit but the filter rusted shortly after and i went back to the bean box.

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
looks good but does it work as well as you expected? Would you do it again?
Do you wish you had never tried it?
Just curious.................

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This was done primarily for looks not performance. From what I read messing with the stock oem system is not the best idea. Honda had done a very good job from the beginning. I don't mind sacrificing a small amount of power to eliminate the stock "UFO" riding shotgun. I also clearly not in the beginning that a rejet would be needed. Very happy with all.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
That's a great looking mod. That's how hot rodding got going, what would happen if I did this or that? Good to see people still doing there own thing and sharing with others.

ROD

·
Read Only
2,714 Posts
I had bought the exact same air cleaner from the auto parts store, thinking I could do this same mod, but couldn't figure out how to fabricate the mounting/adapter plate. I suppose if I had seen the piece at Lowes, I would have done it, but I got an even better looking chrome spike K&N type air cleaner instead. Now, I just have to jet the carbs, to get it working (tried without, like I guess you did).

Thanks for the write up!

·
Registered
354 Posts
Just for giggles I counted the pleats and did a little calculation. If the pleats are about .750" deep and 3" wide, the total estimated surface area of filter material is just under two square feet! Your engine is breathing through just under two square feet of material all tucked away in a little circle. I have no idea how this compares with the factory filter but it seems like it's nice and unrestricted.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I replaced my intake system with a MFG and I have the same problem, guess I should just purchase a Harley
Easy to fix! two options:

#1 You can buy a rear left engine cover (part number: 12290-MBA-710) and modify it yourself by cutting out a square notch to allow for the exhaust port (use the cylinder cover you remove as a template for the exhaust and be sure to measure carefully so you do not cut too much). The bolt holes line up.

#2 Do a google search for surf fin mod Honda Shadow. SurferNick (don't know if he is on this board) actually makes a replacement casting that is ready to bolt on to fill in the missing fins

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I was thinking of this too....never would of thought something was made for that. Void doesn't bother me just yet. Will keep this info for when it does. Knowing me it will be in a week or two. Lol. Good tip!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I followed the directions detailed in this thread and installed the exact same custom air intake/filter on my 1998 ACE Bobber project along with 4 degree timing mod, custom exhaust made from cut off Cobra 2" drag pipes with Emgo bell tip slip-ons complete with baffles. I am struggling with the jetting to get the new setup to run well, and was hoping the OP could share his carb setup with us as we will at least have a starting point. Specifically I'd like to know : pilot jet size, main jet size (front and rear), needle type stock or DynoJet with adjustable circlips? How many washer shims or circlip notches on the needles, and lastly how many turns out from lightly seated on the air/fuel mixture screws ? I have had the carbs in and out of my bike so many times I could probably do it blindfolded...alas I still haven't found the perfect combination to get it running even as good as when I has the stock UFO air filter and V&H cruzers installed. ANY real life carb tuning settings that you could share would be much appreciated.
Regards
JP

Attachments

·
Registered
5,972 Posts
The OP hadn't posted in 2 yrs. you may need to get the answer somewhere else.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I havent been around in a long while but here is what I ended up with using a very similar set up:

Final jetting for my bike was as follows:

Front 134
Rear 138
Main #42
Needles groove 3

after riding for a few weeks and finding my plugs getting a bit black I moved the clips on the needles up to the 2nd groove with one shim and the bike is running spectacularly!!... amazing how much difference that fraction of an inch makes to performance

you can read my entire mod thread on Shadowriders.net Installing a custom air filter/intake on the 750 ACE or Spirit - Shadowriders

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.