Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2002 VT1100C2 and the brake light does not work. I have troubleshooted it down to a circuit board located under the seat but i can not find ANY info on the circuit board. I don't see it on any wiring harness photos, can't find it on an OEM parts list I'm at a total loss. I'm pretty sure this is a stock part but i don't know for sure. I have attached a photo of the front and back in hopes someone can help me identify it so i can replace it. Thanks for looking and have a great day!

Passive circuit component Circuit component Hardware programmer Finger Electrical wiring
Tire Wheel Circuit component Automotive tire Yellow

·
Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
6,507 Posts
Doesn't appear to be original. At first glace it looked like an aftermarket brake light strobe but there seems to be quite a few wires going to it. Could it be a trailer wiring converter, do you have a harness for a trailer plug in?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Doesn't appear to be original. At first glace it looked like an aftermarket brake light strobe but there seems to be quite a few wires going to it. Could it be a trailer wiring converter, do you have a harness for a trailer plug in?
There isn't a trailer plug. When I get home I'll trace all the wires coming off of it and see where they all go I suppose and see if that helps identify it.

·
Registered
2003 VT1100C Spirit
683 Posts
Yeah, I'd be willing to bet a nickel that circuit board is some sort of aftermarket oscillating/flasher thingy. Is it possible that you can contact the previous owner to verify what it is? There could be a wireless controller that goes with it or maybe it works off a phone app...or maybe there's a controller switch somewhere...

Also, you can download a shop manual (available somewhere on this site) for your VT1100C2 that will have a wiring diagram in it. Should be reasonably easy to bypass the mystery circuit board with the help of the wiring diagram.

Honda likes to use yellow/green wires for the "hot" lead on the brake light. They also gang up the brake light, flashers and horn into the same fuse circuit.

Good luck!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So removed the board and connected the appropriate wires together and now all the lights work properly. On a side note though that board was connected to a small block that looks and feels like 2 small salt/sugar blocks. I have attached a photo because now I'm just curious as to what the hell it is. No lights on it just a block that was wrapped in shrink tubing.
Twig Wood Asphalt Road surface Concrete

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
17,731 Posts
Pretty complicated looking flasher unit. Maybe it was programmable? It looks like a diode added also.
Maybe extra lights as turn sequential turn signals at one time?

·
Registered
'83 VT750C
1,976 Posts
I’ll take that nickel bet. I was trying to trace down JIT, which was bought by Flextronics that year (if it was the same company), but could not find anything. Looking at the connections, and that block, which is possibly a sensor… my guess would be a bike alarm?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts