Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I go into second gear it doesn't want to some times it grinds the gears but I have found out that if I go into neutral and then go into 2nd it does it less I replaced the clutch about 6,000 miles ago with a Bennett I believe and it never stopped maybe my clutch cable but the rest of the gears are fine any ideas

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
The first thing I'd check is the clutch free play at the lever is as shown in the Owner's Manual.
Given the situation I'd try it adjusted at the tighter end of the specified range.

Hopefully this will help.

·
Registered
422 Posts
You can shift up without using the clutch so I don't think that is where the problem is. Have you tried shifting up without the clutch? Won't hurt your bike. Going down is much harder. Here's a video about it.

This is kind of weird. I would take the clutch out of the equation and see what happens.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Besides clutchless up shifting, you might also try double shifting from 1st through 2nd directly to 3rd using the clutch. Also try downshifting from 3rd to 2nd using the clutch. See what happens in both cases. What happens may help you to identify either a bent/worn 2nd gear shift fork, or worn engagement dogs on your 2nd gear itself.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Besides clutchless up shifting, you might also try double shifting from 1st through 2nd directly to 3rd using the clutch. Also try downshifting from 3rd to 2nd using the clutch. See what happens in both cases. What happens may help you to identify either a bent/worn 2nd gear shift fork, or worn engagement dogs on your 2nd gear itself.
If I even try to go up it grinds some times it's just when popping it up and i get to the second gear doesn't do it to neutral and when i down shift its fine

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'm shooting in the dark here, cuz I don't have an exploded view of the 1100 Sabre shift linkage. But here's where I would start looking. Sounds like you had this issue even before installing the Barnett clutch. From the sound of things, you are only having issues when you up shift to second, but not downshift or going down to neutral. I would start by pulling the clutch and inspecting the end of the shift drum with the shift linkage intact. It sounds to me like the problem is only occurring when the drum is rotating in the up shift direction and only when up shifting into second. But the problem is not occurring when the shift drum is rotating the opposite direction third to second, or second to neutral. To me this would eliminate the 2nd gear engagement dogs and the shift fork (both internal) as the problem. It sounds to me like there may be a wear on the external portion of the drum at the position where the drum is moving neutral to second/second to neutral, so the ratcheting mechanism isn't quite biting enough to upshift through neutral to second. If it is there, that would be the good news. If it is not, the next possibility I would see would be a wear issue on the shift drum chamfer where the 2nd gear shift fork rides, or possible wear on the 2nd gear shift fork itself; if it is either of these, it's a problem requiring a major tear down. Hope you can get it resolved!

·
Registered
366 Posts
If I even try to go up it grinds some times it's just when popping it up and i get to the second gear doesn't do it to neutral and when i down shift its fine
One other thing to try before going into the case, if you haven't already tried it. Get up into third, downshift into second, then accelerate in second and see if it stays in gear. If it does, then my next guess would be the preceding post.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One other thing to try before going into the case, if you haven't already tried it. Get up into third, downshift into second, then accelerate in second and see if it stays in gear. If it does, then my next guess would be the preceding post.
It's fine when I do that

·
Registered
366 Posts
I think that's good news. The fact that it will hold in second on the downshift and then accelerating would seem to me to rule against a bent/worn shift fork or worn engagement dogs. Sounds like the problem is more related to the direction of shift drum rotation, so hopefully it's just an issue with the external ratcheting mechanism or some sort of wear or burr on the external portion of the shift drum in the direction of rotation neutral to second. But keep in mind that's just a theory. It is what it is; but also, it is what it isn't. Just wish it would stop acting like such a bugger..throw bones and chant?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any one have any ideas I'm replacing my starter so I drained my oil and maybe coolant so this would be the time I would do my clutch and any other work to my bike

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
About this Discussion
12 Replies
4 Participants
venturai
Honda Shadow Forums
Welcome to Honda Shadow Forum. Come in and discuss any Honda Shadow models: VT1100, VT250, VT750 and the VT500.
Full Forum Listing