Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mostly has a hard time cold starting in 65 F I can use half choke I have a stage 2 jet kit and performance intake and custom exhaust when I start it below 55 it will not start I have to use gas to get it to start and then I try to use the choke and it shuts off when I don't use the choke it doesn't start sometimes starts for a little then cuts back out my bike doesn't back fire or shoot flames I adjusted the mixture screw to about 3 turns I believe my bike runs good besides the starting

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also have a broken elbow for the sub air intake but I did try to use plastic glue to get it too work can't find the part anywhere

·
Registered
209 Posts
couple things to try

check charging voltage at idle and cruising speed. IF it's weak, you may have an undercharged battery and not have enough voltage to fire the plugs properly when cranking. Should be in the 13.8 to 14.8v range.
Try hooking up jumper cables (without source vehicle running.) or a battery booster pack before starting, See if it starts easier.

Also re-gap the plugs down to .028 or so. Much easier to fire across the narrower gap with a weak battery/charging system. Fixed my 1100's hard starting for a year or so until I could upgrade the charging system.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My battery is about a couple months old and doesn't crank weak I will check plugs soon I did see a choke adjuster under the tank I will try that tomorrow

·
Registered
16,421 Posts
Dunno `bout yours > BUT on mine > IF I give any throttle at all it`ll NOT fire off...
Whether I use the "Choke" or not, it ain`t gonna fire IF I twist the throttle ANY...
Mine is "Bone Stock" except the K&N Filter in the breather box...
It wouldn`t start with ANY throttle, before this swap either...

Lets RIDE,
Dennis

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dunno `bout yours > BUT on mine > IF I give any throttle at all it`ll NOT fire off...
Whether I use the "Choke" or not, it ain`t gonna fire IF I twist the throttle ANY...
Mine is "Bone Stock" except the K&N Filter in the breather box...
It wouldn`t start with ANY throttle, before this swap either...

Lets RIDE,
Dennis
My bike does start with added throttle check your choke cable it might be stuck open and you flood the engine when you give it gas because the choke is always open with the choke on the bars off take it out of the carb and rotate the housing to adjust the length should be 10 to 11mm between the thread of the part from the carbs and the brass valve end of the plastic on carb and start of brass the gap between them

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I adjusted my choke and still has a hard time starting might run some seafoam through and check the plugs I will check the plugs first then add seafoam

·
Registered
16,421 Posts
Thank You @venturai

My bike is the way it is, there`s no "choke" problem, it does its job when asked to and shuts off when pushed in...
"Choke" ON or OFF apply No Throttle to crank up...
IF I could only get the weather to cooperate,
Dennis

Lets RIDE

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I adjusted my a/F mixture screw from 3 turns to 2.5 and now I will stay idling and not turn off so I'll go to turn turns next to hopefully get it right soon also new plugs and oil change soon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts