Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike scrapes frame and engine when hidding speed bumps I ride 2 up alot I weight about 200 my lady about 220. Was thinking suspension upgrade maybe 440 progressive or platinum air suspension. Or maybe a lift kit? I would like a skid plate if no one can find one I can always make a custom one any ideas?

·
Registered
12,531 Posts
Should be able to fab some heavy aluminum at least.
The usual maximum weight on most of these bike is about 375-400 pounds so you might need upgrade shocks.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Should be able to fab some heavy aluminum at least.
The usual maximum weight on most of these bike is about 375-400 pounds so you might need upgrade shocks.
I am debatting between 444 or air suspension not sure yet

·
Registered
280 Posts
Sorry not to hijack but I always LOL when I hear someone say they ride 2 up and the weight is like 350 combined... that's just me alone =). But yes, I would suggest suspension upgrade over a skid plate - you'll just be preventing further damage with the plate but not fixing the issue. With the suspension upgrade, you'll prevent damage and fix the issue and probably get a better ride out of it too.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
When I got my 750 ACE the front springs were crazy soft and would dive like crazy under braking.
It came with a fork tool bag that almost hit the fender with me just sitting on it.
New Progressive Suspension springs and new oil made a huge difference in ride height and handling.
I guess what I'm saying is don't forget the the front end it takes around 40% of the load just sitting there and much more when the weight shifts forward decelerating and almost 100% under extreme braking.

·
Registered
8,105 Posts
I didn't have an issue on the Spirit model but there is 2.3 in.'s diameter difference between the Sabres 120/90-18 and the Spirits 110/90-21. As for Progressive, I go with the air ride and the front spring as the front stock springs are too soft IMHO. Night and day difference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts