Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I need to buy a new battery for my 2003 Honda VT750CD. Any recommendations? It's easy enough to find a battery that fits but I'm curious if there are certain brands that are preferable.

R

·
Registered
1995 VT1100C2
4,054 Posts
I have had good results from a variety of brands including chinese knock offs. The one thing I did find is that AGM-type battery lasts a really long time and does not require as much storage charging (I no longer use a tender with it for the last 4 years)

·
Super Moderator
6,517 Posts
I like the Yuasa AGM batteries. Whatever brand you go with, get an AGM battery. They're less messy, and in my experience they last longer than wet cell batteries.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
I gotta be different. I like the Lithium-Iron phosphate LiFePo4 batteries. Have a Shorai ( ShoraiPower.com ) in my Versys, ( 5 year pro-rated warranty,,,) was supposed to go in my Tourer, but the Versys died 1st and took the same one. (Tourer already had a MotoBat I had to buy while on a trip, and it's the t-shaped one or I'd have swapped them. Will get another Shorai when the others die. My 750 Ace has a Yuasa iirc. On any of them, Follow the initial fill and charging instructions to get the best results.

·
Super Moderator
6,517 Posts
I gotta be different. I like the Lithium-Iron phosphate LiFePo4 batteries. Have a Shorai ( ShoraiPower.com ) in my Versys, ( 5 year pro-rated warranty,,,) was supposed to go in my Tourer, but the Versys died 1st and took the same one. (Tourer already had a MotoBat I had to buy while on a trip, and it's the t-shaped one or I'd have swapped them. Will get another Shorai when the others die. My 750 Ace has a Yuasa iirc. On any of them, Follow the initial fill and charging instructions to get the best results.
Curious........ do Lithium-Iron phosphate batteries require a special charger?
Phil

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Curious........ do Lithium-Iron phosphate batteries require a special charger?
Phil
A definite maybe... Think it depends on brand, Shorai has their special charger, but it also says a regular type can be used, but may not get 100% charge, or something like that. Their battery has a special charging port that allows their charger to charge each cell individually. Drawback is the port may not be accessible with it installed, there is an extension cord for the port that should work in most cases though.

And they are smaller, weigh about a third of the regular lead-acid batteries, and have more cranking power. means you can have a stash box place under the battery. And no acid to ruin the stash place.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts