Honda Shadow Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, I’m new to the forum and the motorcycle family. I recently purchased a stored 2003 spirit 750 and have come across some issues starting. For reference, I’ve purchased a new battery and have replaced that, a new starter solenoid, I’ve cleaned the ignition switch terminals and checked any fuses that have to do with ignition. So here’s my problem, kickstand up, clutch in, kill switch off and hit the ignition and I get crank and can hear the exhaust bubble but that’s as far as I get. Tried some starting fluid directing into the air intake manifold and nothing! I’m at a loss as to where to go from here. I considered maybe it’s an issue with spark plugs or the carbs being so dirty, but I would have figured some ether could have still gotten the engine to fire. Where do y’all think I should go from here? Thanks in advance!

· Registered
238 Posts
Hey all, I’m new to the forum and the motorcycle family. I recently purchased a stored 2003 spirit 750 and have come across some issues starting. For reference, I’ve purchased a new battery and have replaced that, a new starter solenoid, I’ve cleaned the ignition switch terminals and checked any fuses that have to do with ignition. So here’s my problem, kickstand up, clutch in, kill switch off and hit the ignition and I get crank and can hear the exhaust bubble but that’s as far as I get. Tried some starting fluid directing into the air intake manifold and nothing! I’m at a loss as to where to go from here. I considered maybe it’s an issue with spark plugs or the carbs being so dirty, but I would have figured some ether could have still gotten the engine to fire. Where do y’all think I should go from here? Thanks in advance!
Don't know about your 2003, but my 2007 has a safety switch on the kickstand. As long as the bike is in gear, clutch in or not, it won't start.

· Registered
2001 Valkyrie I/S
7,130 Posts
Welcome to the forum. How long was the bike in storage?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pull the plugs and ground them and see if they fire. If see sparks, could try spraying into spark plug holes and reinstall the plugs and see if it runs for a moment.
This seems like the best course of action moving forward. Thank you! I’ll most likely replace them, need to do some research to find the gap requirements for this particular motorcycle.

· Registered
1,129 Posts
Plugs are pre-gapped... just install.
Sounds like the bike was parked dry? So I'll assume the carb was drained too.
Nix the starting fluid. Might blow a head gasket, stretch the bolts, who knows, better you use WD40.

Say it's possible rings were not lubed during storage. Condensation could kick in, rust the ring in the piston grooves. That leaves you no or low compression.

Say you do have spark, next is to get the compression out of the way with a test tool, then last thing is the main jet may be clogged due to a fast drain, then tighten the drain screw, residue fills some, closes the main, and hard starting, rather keep the drain screw open to let the gas evaporate completely, that or remove the drain screw.

· Registered
2013 Honda Shadow Phantom 750
4,644 Posts
Personally I do not trust pre gapped plugs. I like my plugs gapped on the small spec and all the same. Found some that were off before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
712 Posts
These work well, Inductive sensor, just touch the wire...
Put a piece a black electrical tape on the back half of the inductive light tube,
-makes the light in the tube show up MUCH more!

Detects spark even just cranking with no start... i have one, <$10bucks- Handy!
Or if have an old timming light with a inductive clip-on the sparkplug wire - they work well too,,,

· Registered
712 Posts
5yrs in Storage?, When in doubt
Watch Wood Clock Tool Pliers

Check the HeartBeat - Sure takes the Guess work outa things - Worth spendin good $$$ on?
Ya'all know the story, Spark, Compression - only leaves Fuel!
Tricks a the Trade, and a Successful end a story without wastin time & $$$$...

I like the way Bentone thinks...
A good wrench can have all the above outa the way in the first 15 min.
But a Good Wrench is Hard to find these days

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wanted to thank everyone for their advice on this discussion, got the sucker running last night! (Barely) time to get the carbs cleaned as my idle is terrible and it doesn’t want to leave neutral except a couple hundred feet.

· Registered
712 Posts
Glad to hear ya got er fired up and some signs a life - always a good sign.
But now, the first thing I'd do is a compression test to evaluate the scope of whatcya really got there.
Factory spec on that VT750DC is round 180 PlusMinus 15psi - while servicelimit ~145-150psi where servicelimit means it doesn't really need to be rebuilt till its down to the service limit/unacceptable for road service.
Quickly, to the point, Test it, is it a keeper or marginal - Don't put Lipstick on marginal Pig...

Pics! Lets see some Pics...

· Registered
60 Posts
Another thing to check is the tank vent tube. Most people don't think about it, but I found out the hard way (at an $80 price tag, with the shop saying, "we can't find anything wrong"), that when that vent tube gets plugged or restricted, it can cause the gas to not flow out from the tank to the carbs, so it will just die. On mine, the vent tube is on the back right side of the tank, opposite the petcock. If you open the tank cap, start it, and it runs fine, then that is likely the culprit. Just remove it, and blow it out, and save yourself the $80 dollars. I think a bug crawled up in mine, and died there, with it's dead carcass restricting the air flow.

Reactions: PhantomRider64
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.