Honda Shadow Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The short version of my question is;
What (if any) seal prevents oil from leaking through the gearshift drum casing where the gearshift arm connects to the forks?

And the full story;
I've recently purchased a 2003 Honda Shadow Spirit and after riding it for a few weeks I noticed the shifter pedal had a bit of left to right free play. I noticed the pivot bolt was loose, and consulted my brother, who is a mechanic by trade. He assured me this amount of movement was a nonissue. His knowledge of cars seems to outweigh his knowledge of motorcycles now, but at the time I took his bad advice. A few layers later still, I now have a slight oil leak originating from where the casing where the gearshift arm connects to the forks inside the drums. I've order a new pivot bolt since the bushings on the old ones are shot, but I cant seem to find any diagrams or stores that list any sort of seal. Is there supposed to be one? Could I make one myself? Or is the issue deeper inside? I'd like to be able to get all the parts I need and be able to fix it in one day.

Please shower me with your sage advice.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,460 Posts

Attachments

Reactions: bd*

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It doesnt seem.to be in the crankcase, it's a bit further towards the rear. I'll take some pictures after work to give a better idea

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looking at it now I think you nailed it, Swifty. Here's the pictures anyways for the archives. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,460 Posts
If is just a little gooey from seeping oil and dust you might leave it alone for a while to see if it gets worse. Is it dripping?
But your chain and front sprocket look dry and I would give that attention first.

·
Premium Member
1999 Shadow 750 ACE VT750CD3 Modified
2,925 Posts
If is just a little gooey from seeping oil and dust you might leave it alone for a while to see if it gets worse. Is it dripping?
But your chain and front sprocket look dry and I would give that attention first.
Are you thinking it could possibly be sympathetic oiling?
The gearbox feeling sorry for the chain.

Whenever I pull that cover off my bike it's always like a general black mess on everything.
I chain wax the chain every 800km (500miles) and pull the cover off every couple of years to look at the sprocket and I'd never notice if the seal was weeping a bit of oil unless it was dripping on the floor.

·
Registered
1983 Honda vt750 Shadow
14,460 Posts
If it is dripping some oil, make a small funnel piece to run the oil over to the chain.
Some one on here put on an automatic chain oiler a few years ago.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts